Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

ANNOUNCEMENT: No Dedicated Servers? YIKES!

You can blame the hackers if this turns out to be true. Infinity Ward has suggested that there may not be any dedicated servers for us PC gamers.

Announced yesterday, there is a bit of an up-roar in the PC world as it could spell the end of so many things we enjoy doing, like having clan matches, making and applying mods and custom maps, etc.

The latest article, based on an interview, can be found here at Bash and Slash: http://bashandslash.com/index.php?op...745&Itemid=111

Implications?

Password protected servers would not exist.
    Clan matches would not take place.
    Competitive gaming, as we know it, would disappear.
    Ad-hoc scrims could be a thing of the past.
    Game Server Providers would be crippled.
    Player online experiences would be completely dominated by the quality of the system operated by the game's host. 48+slot servers could be a thing of the past.
    Modders and mappers will disappear. The game's variation, as we have become accustomed to, will go with them. Our community will focus on gaming only. The hobbiest element will need to find another game.

What's driving this? Apparently cracked servers and people stealing keys are at the core of the problem...

Here is a rant by Fourzerotwo from another BASH article: The End of PC Gaming?

They Wonder Why People Don’t Make PC Games Any More

On another PC related note, we pulled some disturbing numbers this past week about the amount of PC players currently playing Multiplayer (which was fantastic). What wasn’t fantastic was the percentage of those numbers who were playing on stolen copies of the game on stolen / cracked CD keys of pirated copies (and that was only people playing online).

Not sure if I can share the exact numbers or percentage of PC players with you, but I’ll check and see; if I can I’ll update with them. As the amount of people who pirate PC games is astounding. It blows me away at the amount of people willing to steal games (or anything) simply because it’s not physical or it’s on the safety of the internet to do.

-Fourzerotwo
    You can find more info and Articles related to this subject at Bash & Slash here: http://bashandslash.com/index.php?op...739&Itemid=111

There's a thing call MatchMaking, rather than us selecting a server on a list from dedicated servers. MatchMaking is where someone says, "I'm hosting a match' and others join in. YIKES! No need for clans in this system.

Matchmaking Benefits:
    Locking down the game would keep IW in firm control over its own intellectual property and artistic direction. Benefit would be all Activision/IW.
    Preventing game modding could prepare us for a subscription model and would IW to charge for PC DLC, given that everyone is running the same game and they would have essentially killed off the PC modding community. Benefit would be all Activision/IW.
    One PC game would mean one (albeit, still small) community...right now PC Call of Duty means many games and very tiny communities.

What can we do? Find a new game... I still think Crysis and that series has some really incredible capabilities. With a larger community who knows what could be developed... along with some stunning custom maps. Of course for many hard core COD fans, COD WaW and Treyarch just might turn out to be a great friend.

Petition
    There's an online petition here with over 17,000 signatures already: http://www.petitiononline.com/dedis4mw/petition.html

My signature is number 17,363. Be sure to let us know your sig number and sign the petition.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: No Dedicated Servers? YIKES!

Articles from Bash & Slash related to this topic:

MW2: Our game has changed forever. http://bashandslash.com/index.php?op...745&Itemid=111

MW2: IW personnel playing thru Steam? http://bashandslash.com/index.php?op...741&Itemid=111

MW2: Not officially delayed - yet? http://bashandslash.com/index.php?op...742&Itemid=111

MW2: Rudedog to bow out of MW2? http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=743&Item id=111

man, I for one was waiting for MW2 for mapping purposes, putting on hold the learning of other programs to focus on what was going to be a great game. This puts a damper on my own ambitions in a big way. What's the point if one can't do some of the hobby things we 'older' people like to get involved in, including running clans, putting up a server, adding mods, etc. MW2 will turn into a young world only with teens running around doing 'MatchMaking'... oh, how exciting.

It's funny to think that people who steal don't think there are any ramifications to their actions... that the companies can afford it... that it won't be noticed... that no one will be hurt. hmmm, doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what has happened.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

News at http://www.fpsadmin.com/

Stand together against IW
    by Cobra
    Let us that runs gaming comunity`s stand together against IW.

I have started to run a news that tells about what IW have done, and I am telling people the advise not to buy the game before IW comes out with a statement that they will make dedicated servers and mod tools for Cod6. And even my small gaming portal have about 2.500 players visiting my servers every 24 hours. And i will also soon start to advertise this also inside all the gaming servers at my place.

It is us admins and gaming server owners and gaming portal owners that have advertised for all previous games IW have made. And it is us that retch out to the big number of gamers around the world with our words about how great this new games look and so on. So it is us that have been a big part on building IW up to what it is today.

So let us show this to them all server owners and gaming portal pages.
    Let us show that what we write about games and advice people to do actually have a big impact on how many people who wants to buy the games.
    So excluding us was not a wery smart move by IW.

Hopefully they will notis this in a short time if you all follow up on what i have done here at my gaming site

I hope it is a lot of people here that will support this group and spreed the word about this group.
    So please people and gamer m8 around the world, sign up for this group so we can show them what we think about what they have done with MW2 game

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/MW2-Boycotting

Thanks up front to all that joins in and helps with getting the word about this group out.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

thats so ridiculous...i was goin' to play it lol. no its out of my list. no mp no game.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

well, IW is doing something with regards to piracy, I just feel it's hurting a good and loyal crowd of enthusiasts and not going after the core issue which is the people who actually steal. Prosecute the criminals and be done with it.

Never the less I'm off the IW boat... I personally feel that it's a stab in the back to a community that has fundamentally helped the growth of gaming in the first place. The Clan system is at the heart of gaming, not the game itself. Finding people who you can trust to game with, have fun with and make new friends is really what it's about in my mind, or at a minimum what sustains a game and helps make it popular.

Gaming is fun, and I'll continue to enjoy it, but starting a match with strangers... or posting as I've seen so many times "if anyone wants a match, contact me and I'll play". I just hope that there can be a migration to other PC games and that PC gamers take AntiCheat more seriously to thwart cheaters and stealers. They, not IW, are really at the core of the issue and HH does have many programs design and implemented to thwart their efforts. Of course we could use more help to say the least in all aspects of what we do (not just the public offerings).

To think I was getting my PC in shape for the release of MW2. mmmm, what's the latest release with crysis?

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

In case you missed it, join this xfire group:
    http://www.xfire.com/communities/mw2cod/

Not knowing much about console gaming, do console gamers benefit from us PC gamers? I can imagine we offer great video footage, but do they enjoy the modding and mapping we do, or are they excluded from it? Do they participate in clans, or is there no reason for them to be in a clan?

maybe they have something to loose that they're not really aware of.... help!

TRUSTED ASSOCIATE+ !AR!BlackHawk's Avatar
    ARMA-Games

More intressting is the fact that PunkBuster is out the window, and VAC is now going to cover the anti-cheat side of things. Other words, no streaming to the well known thrid party websites (apart from SteamBans.com)

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

VAC as a substitute to PunkBuster seems lame.

There are many ramifications to this change. I know that there is a majority of console gamers in the world, but I do feel that console gamers will notice the effects of this as they grow older and realize what they're missing. I understand that there have been a few recent games that have tried MatchMaking and have failed, not to suggest that MW2 will fail but it's obvious that if other games have failed because of MM that there is a fundamental flaw to the system. But because MW2 is such a big title commanding so much attention I fear it will influence other game developers.

What I think we need to do is find a new fully PB supported game and move the PC crowd in a new direction, supporting a different developer who will appreciate the PC gamer and possibly rely on the PC gamer. With that, eventually even IW will be interested in recovering the loss in revenue and return to offering dedicated servers.

Currently there are over 53,000 signatures. That's quite a statement in just 24 hours. Maybe IW will patch this and the issue will be over. Lets hope.

I'd love to hear what our console gamers think.

well 1st of all there's over 58000 signatures and while im writing this post there will be over 59...hehe, anyway im lookin' at EA games right now (not just bcoz its related to my initials...well on the other hand... )
    the thing is that ea is already supporting console gamers mainly, and thats wot iw is aiming at probably. but i've chosen iw as its a bit...sorry it was a bit more about pc gaming. not anymore. im wondering if all these years with iw could be forgotten so easily and lost. iw's got a huge benefits from us...(pc gamers). i just dont want to let it go so kindly, but im just a pc gamer - not one of those(console), iw cares about these days.

cracked games? theres plenty of it. just it needs a look from another point of view - the most important thing is why people choose iw. why are they doing that? what makes them think, iw was a right choice? in this case money is what cares iw most.
    if iw starts to sell cd key's on internet for a half price at least(coz game can be downloaded for free, all u need to do is google for it), lets see what happens. im sure iw would increase sales and profits at least 25% overall.
    theres some examples of what im talkin' about, but thats not a right way its done.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

speaking of signatures...

ahh, because our background is black you can't see the whole thing...
    click on link to see: http://sebastien.me/mw2/petition.png

here's the code if you want it for your sig...

Code:

http://bashandslash.com/index.php?op...=746&Itemid=69

This is the link for the conference call if you don't feel like reading.....
    The crap starts around 14 minutes into the feed.....

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

A simple task for the individuals involved, A humongous acheivment for the community on the whole?

Thousands of us have already cancelled MW2 pre-orders - Thousands have made the decision not to purchase the game on release, we have signed petitions, whined in forums and tweeted our little twingers to the bone.

Its time for the next phase "Mission - Possible" 'The Global Stand Down'

"A Global Standown"...?

On the 10th November 2009 @ 00:00 - 00:00 11th November 2009

- Every Server Host - Every Server Entity - Every Server Owner - Every Clan - Every Organisiation - Every Individual With the Power - The World Over!!!

Calling ALL fragging legends with administrative rights and access to 'ANY LIVE' Call Of Duty gaming server:

Please ensure you have your Keyboard, Mice, Monitors & Log-In Details @ the ready!

GO-TO GLOBAL STAND DOWN MODE & SHUT DOWN ALL SERVERS FOR A PERIOD OF 24HRS!

Nov 10th 2009 @ Zero Hundered Hours (A day for the history of PC Gaming) and a black cloud over IW's recent ideas.

The Stand-Down has the potential to be the biggest joint effort and remarkable statment of solidarity ever seen in the International Gaming Community.

This manover will of course halt Infinity wards master servers and bring them to a stand still: They can then instantly view which ip's they have temporarily lost the world over.

IW will immediatley understand how wide spread and deep routed our feelings are.

A true testiment of our commitment and buying power.

We are not ready to give up this fight and simply accept that this is a done deal, there is fuel for our already raging fires yet.

For more information READ THE FULL ARTICLE HERE
    http://angryemployee.com/page.php?20

i'll spread the word.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Very good Edis.

In paralel news with the game series Crysis:
    Additionally, development on the Linux dedicated server for the game has ceased.

Considering recent comments by Crytek's Cevat Yerli, this news doesn't come as a huge shock. Although the game (Crysis 1) has sold well, the company still believes piracy significantly impacted retail performance. Yerli also said at the time that the company would move away from PC-exclusive development.
    Crytek's latest game engine, CryEngine2, being used now for the upcoming game Crysis 2, allows game creators to develop games for the PC, XBox and PS automatically and in real time.

It seems to me that those who choose to steal, or even borrow games from friends are hurting the industry which is in turn hurting the PC community.

just 1 question - why just cod series? lets shut down all server we can. i mean, this is not just about cod series anymore "PC Community Global Unity". Global means that every single gamer should be involved in this, no matter what games hes playin. ppl who play cod series play another games as well, i.e. clans or multi gaming clans own servers for diff. games.
    so lets make a global stand down that could be accepted as an non-egoistic action and a solidarity of all gamers over the world.

or why dont we make things turn arround? i.e. imagine a situation when other game providers start pushing iw with complaints about iw is causin probs to them as well? a strange idea or curiosity? i agree, but the "fight is far from over", isnt it? "the battle has just begun".

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

This is a wrong decision for IW to make, but seeing how this just might turn out will be interesting. It will sort of like Novalogic.

Another thing I want to put in? Since IW will be hosting servers for all gamers of COD6 for PC. Will this stop cheating? Since IW will have to hire real time moderators to keep their server under watch?

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

I do think it will have an impact on cheating... they've essentially said there will be no need for admins to patrol the servers at IW.net. I think it has to do with PC and dedicated servers allowing cheats to exist, but with their system that loop hole is closed for cheaters.

It totally stinks that cheaters and stealers have cause us honest gamers the final insult... and ended their own 'fun' at the same time. Greed, lack of foresight (ramifications of their actions), and lack of conscience (willingness to abuse others) on the cheat developers part has lead us all into this corner together.

I don't worry about myself making the sacrifice of not getting MW2... i've made plenty of sacrifices in my life that the loss of a game isn't exactly earth shattering, but I do worry that a fair percentage will just move on, purchase the game, and care less about the loss we all will have as a result.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Agreed, I am going to buy it, and who cares about custom servers. I used to run my own clan and server and a lot of people do not like custom mods or servers. and plus the server doesn't get ranked.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

ahh, i think you misread my post... I"m not going to buy it. I think it hurts the PC community and we may see that day where no games are made for the PC and that would be a huge loss on so many levels.

I think that some of you here don`t fully understand the implications to what iw are doing....

1/ they are NOT hosting any servers...they will only be hosting the lobby...you will be hosting on your home PC`s ! That is all games played will be hosted on actual people`s home network connections...so if you have a bad upload connection or more importantly if the host of the game has then the game Will always lag if more than 6 or 7 people are on the server

2/ This has nothing to do with stopping piracy or cheating ! .... it is so that they can control what is run and also control how much what is run costs....they make good money by making x-box users pay for x-box live and want to make the PC users do the same...so expect a cost for any future map packs or to use any mods.... there is as much piracy of x-box games as there is of PC games...maybe more TBH since x-box games are more expensive... on a certain site i watch the pre-release of COD MW2 has already been grabbed 963 times in 2 days ! there are very few cracked PC servers in the list of games...i don`t know anyone who hasn`t bought the game for PC as they all know that cracked servers are full of cheaters

3/ The servers will still have cheaters on them.... look at TF2 run on steam...it`s full of cheaters.

The whole this is more serious than you seem to think...try playing ofp2 on line tvt and you will see just how bad the MP side of things are going to be

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

great points Mik

I was looking around the Operation Flashpoint 2: DragonRising to hear what ppl are saying with regards to no dedicated servers... here's some quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27063165
    NO DEDICATED SERVERS
    Have fun playing multiplayer guys, gonna lag like crazy above 8 players... hmmm I guess that's why consoles only have 8 player

Quote Originally Posted by http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=176438
    Bought the game yesterday for PC. We used Hamachi to get a coop game going and, well it has issues.

Peer to peer hosting when you only have 400k upload works okay when you have one or two friends playing, but any more than that and it's not worth it.

Lack of dedicated server aside, it's pretty obvious this game is a console port, for which people ceased using the prefix "next generation" some time ago. Low FOV, low res textures, poor radial menu, mouse wheel weapon select stopping movement, comedy lighting and vehicle physics top it off. Its okay for a quick blast in coop, but the game seriously needs the stupid patched out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.eve-search.com/thread/1192912/page/1
    The original OFP was epic. This one sucks. They gutted the game to make it fit into a format consoles could handle. I bought it without the benefit of a demo and/or pirating it first to check it out. Lesson learned.

To any of you original OFP fans out there: just skip it.

I can just imagine what people will be saying when MW2 hits the shelves... there'll be a ton of complaints from those who didn't hear of or read the warnings. Should be fun to watch

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

hmmm, I was wondering if PC users on average put in more gaming hours than console users. I ask because if 'we' do, then that means there will be a lot less hours logged in for MW2. It's yet another strong argument just looking at how many copies are sold which seems to be initially IW's only concern. That means less people to play against which really affects the popularity of a game.

If you look at how many copies of MW2 ultimately sells, i'm sure IW will do fine. But that's just part of the success of a title. I think people notice rather quickly whether it's easy to fine others to play against. If the close to 200,000 PC users don't buy the game and stick to their guns, then it will have a huge impact on the multiplayer aspect of the game and may ultimately have more of an impact on long term thinking of the game developers than just the selling of the initial game, as popularity sells future games and failure stigmatizes a title in people's minds.

I don't expect any large masses of people refusing to buy, but I hope people can resist TEMPTATION. It's easy to buy because we want it, want it, want it... (that sounds like a little kid, right? I want it mommy...) but it takes courage to say no. Do you have courage? It's obvious this new format hurts PC users and will impact our gaming future. Do you have the courage to do the right thing or is your personality more of the type like the guards of nazi concentration camps of ' I was just doing my job'?

Stand together and stand strong!

If you buy this game for just the single player side (since why would there be any other reason) then be aware of this...

I was talking to someone who`s kid of 14 finished the x-box 360 sp game in two 4 hour sittings.......so that`s a total playing time of only 8 hours including replays and respawns.....shockingly small amount of playing time for £35 of £40 !!

TRUSTED ASSOCIATE+ !AR!BlackHawk's Avatar
    ARMA-Games

I bought all CoD versions that got onto the market twice (2 pc's), from cod1+uo, cod2, cod4 & CoD:WaW... but this one isn't going to get through my door. I'm done with Infinity Award, and if this is what gaming is going to be like in the coming years, then I'm done with gaming.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

some of the fun and continued rage over MW2... and it goes on:

This is a total ban of all games people use with xbox360, over a glitch in MW2.

I recently traded in cod 4 and cod waw for the 360, for mw2 on PC, i can tell you personally that the game is horrible in multi-player, I haven't gotten a game in the last 3 days that hasn't had a cheat 67-0, 53-1, not to mention that matchmaking is a nightmare. frequent host leaving cause game freezes. party friends being left out when joining games. unable to migrate host, the list goes on. Steam Vac is doing Nothing to stop the cheats, and by no means am i being harsh. Everyone says, oh they will get dedicated servers etc etc... but truth is they have already invested money into this crappy iwnet. I miss you Punkbuster and i thought id never say that. I will warn anyone thinking of investing there hard earned Money Not to buy this game for the multi-player. If you get a chance check out this months issue of PC gamer magazine, Page 16 there's a nice article Titled [Why i won't be playing MW2]. It amazes me how they seem to go with fans when they hate something. a few months back they were doing nothing but talking this game up. It has come to my attention not to listen to these review people. They get games for free to review, they aren't the ones spending there 60.00. Ok I feel better now lol ...pup9et

Another MW2 IW.net Fail – ISP Banning?
    http://www.gossipgamers.com/another-...l-isp-banning/

Whew, didn't realise it was still going on

I like the picture though.
    [/url]

Yeah well, them openly saying dedicated servers and creating the viral online hype only to later inform the public that only a particular company is authorized to release its dedis is simply poor public relations. Sure it will generate a cash flow in the beginning but as everything else, its consumers will feel totally betrayed.

As for the server files being locked..right okay, so which earth year do they live in. Either way, i do feel sorry for the gamers in general as they are constantly being herded like sheeple into a particular slaughter house and dissected until there is no cash and suddenly boom... they will announce open server files...well its what a little birdie whispered to me, not sure if it stands, but hey, lets raise the flag and see how many salute.