Left 4 Dead Series, L4D2

L4D PC DLC Out Now
    April 21, 2009, 2:45 pm - Valve - Product Update

The Left 4 Dead Survival Pack is now available for the PC and Xbox 360, free of charge to all owners of the game. The full change list for the PC release is below. In addition, both the retail and Steam versions of the game (PC and 360) are now available for a special price. Check Steam and local retailers for pricing details. For more information about L4D, please visit www.l4d.com

Survival Mode

* New gameplay Mode
    * 16 maps including Last Stand
    * Leaderboards
    * 7 new achievements

Versus Changes

* 2 new versus campaigns
    * Fixed a case where versus team score would continue to be recalculated after the score panel was displayed
    * Fixed an issue with recalculating the versus score health bonus for a player when they are rescued from being incapacitated
    * Fixed being able to start a swing as an infected, then teleport to the survivors and have the claw swing hit a survivor
    * Fixed a case where teleporting to the survivors would not reset the ability timer
    * Fixed an exploit where you could load the chamber of a weapon with bullets by holding down the melee key
    * Fixed a case where it was not possible to join a game while it was in a finale
    * Fixed a rare case where listen servers would speed up the game over time
    * Removed convars related to melee fatigue
    * Fixed a case where infected players would get a respawn time on their initial spawn into a map

Server Changes

* Made ms_force_dedicated_server not require cheats
    * Add a message when queuing a heartbeat
    * Simplified setting of game mode
    * Removed convars director_no_human_zombies and director_holdout_mode
    * Added mp_gamemode [coop,versus,survival]

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Re: Left 4 Dead Series, L4D2

made that mistake with L4D...what a joke having a L4D server was

getting vote-kicked off our own server and having no recourse
    is this true? If so you may want to reconsider having the game, especially if you have a clan.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

(first part of this post is reposted from my earlier post in the Game Sourse: Steam discussion, but wanted to expand it with a second part)

L4D2

So a few days ago I decided to try out Left 4 Dead 2... yes you heard me. I thought I would never try that one, but the first L4D did look like a fun story. Well have to say it is a pretty darn good game, both single and multiplayer. I don't have enough experience as of yet to let you all know definitively, but it is fun to be a part of a squad (4 person multiplayer squads) fighting off hoards of zombies, helping each other out of jambs and causing general mayhem. It doesn't have the great sense of humor that Portal did, which considering it's about zombies, they could of come up with something, but still I'm having a serious blast playing the game, for $19.95 i believe. I'd say if you'd like to try something different then give it a try.

Okay, continued playing L4D2 and I do find the game very stable and robust. There are many multiplayer game modes including games with many players, but the typical game consists of 4 to 8 gamers. In just one of the fun game modes called 'versus' you alternate between being survivors and being the infected. You become a 'Boomer' which is a fat guy/gal who can explode 'muck' onto the survivors blinding them, a 'Jockey' who basically can jump on the backs of survivors and 'ride them' (pretty funny), a 'Smoker' who shoots out a tongue like thing that can drag a survivor into danger, who, when shot makes nearby survivors cough (again funny)... and another infected who can leap around like crazy and tear up survivors.

It's definitely a cooperative game. Anyone trying to do it alone will die quickly and there's no respawning until the match is over.

There are many very well designed maps, hordes of zombies and lots of fun imo.

There is a problem with kicking, that if you're a noob you will most likely get kicked which really stinks, but not all servers or gamers do this and will vote down some people's attempts to make their team better.

One of the smart things they've done with this game is... all the single player maps are also the multiplayer maps... it's the same but instead of having generic computer comrades you play with other gamers as teammates. And that explains one of my earlier complaints that you couldn't save in game as you make your way to an objective... the objective is the save point and also the 'safe place' for multiplayer (makes sense now).

Because the maps are sort of like Rush maps on BFBC2, there's a huge variety of circumstances in the game rather than just the same small map over and over.

This game, along with Portal and Half-Life 2 series has changed my view on Steam, and Valve (which i still don't have much respect for)... but the games they are creating are first rate experiences and worthy of consideration, L4D2 and probably TF2 offering a multiplayer aspect.

The upcoming Portal 2 is supposed to offer multiplayer gaming as well.

if you do steam, look me up: GreenBeanHH i think :-)

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Demo Recording

ACTIVATE THE CONSOLE:
    The console is a feature of many games that can be used to change certain elements of a game. In Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2, it can be activated in the Options menu (go to "Keyboard/Mouse", then Enable the "Allow Developer Console" option) and then displayed by pressing the tilde (~) key in game (you don't need to press "Shift"). Valve features a quick-type feature in their consoles that allow rapid entry of commands.

Source: http://www.sky-gaming.org/forum/view...php?f=19&t=215
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiderGat wrote:
    I don't know how to get steam ID's from people and console or I would have.

Sincerely,
    SpiderGat

Alright since you don't know how to do any of this stuff I'll explain it(that is if you look in this thread again).

okay...

1. for a demo all you need to do is go to console and type "record <demo name>. for the demo name it&#39;s best to use the offenders name.

2. for the steam id once again go into console and this time type in "status" and look for his name.

and that&#39;s it ^_^. Oh and for uploading demos and posting them on the website, if you don&#39;t know how to do that all you have to do is go to this site http://www.megaupload.com upload the demo file in your steam folder which will be located in drive c:/program files/steam/steamapps/common/left4dead2/left4dead2 and just look for the name of the demo you created. example would be "Rampage.dem". After that&#39;s all done then just copy and paste the link. Hope this helped!

demo_gototick : cmd : : Skips to a tick in demo.
    demo_pause : cmd : : Pauses demo playback.
    demo_resume : cmd : : Resumes demo playback.
    demo_timescale : cmd : : Sets demo replay speed.
    demo_togglepause : cmd : : Toggles demo playback.
    demolist : cmd : : Print demo sequence list.
    demos : cmd : : Demo demo file sequence.

... there are parts of this game that get me to almost turn my head and not look, and certain melee weapons that are used because of their extreme damage they can do. I personally think other weapons could of been used that would of been just as &#39;satisfying&#39; as I don&#39;t need to see people&#39;s arms, heads, etc. flying off in order to be a satisfied game player. Not sure what Valve was thinking when they decided to put that sort of content into a game, and anyone considering the game should be fully aware that extreme is where they took L4D2. -GreenBean.

From Wikipedia:
    Left 4 Dead 2 was refused classification in Australia by the Office of Film and Literature Classification (OFLC). It failed to gain a MA15+ rating, the highest possible rating for video games, thus preventing the sale of the game within the country.[12] In its report, the OFLC cited the reason for refusing classification as "The game contains violence that is high in impact and is therefore unsuitable for persons aged under 18 to play."[84] However, a small number of members of the OFLC board believed the game could merit the MA15+ rating which was used to publish the first Left 4 Dead. It was expected that changes could be made to the game, as had to be done with Fallout 3, to allow the game to be classified as MA15+ and thus sold in Australia.[85] Both Lombardi and Newell were "surprised" by the classification refusal.[86][87] Valve appealed the OFLC&#39;s decision about a week after being notified of the ruling, comparing the sequel to its predecessor, which had been classified as MA15+, and the mature ratings the sequel had received from similar rating organizations around the world.[88] However, as the appeal process, expected to end on October 22, was close to the planned release date, Valve submitted a modified version of the game for classification addressing the concerns the OFLC has stated.[87] This version, which no longer contained images of "decapitation, dismemberment, wound detail or piles of dead bodies", was classified as MA15+ by the OFLC, thus allowing for the game&#39;s release in Australia, though Valve and Electronic Arts still hoped to have their preferred, unmodified version classified by the OFLC for release.[89]