Thread: How to recruit

How to recruit

It's really interesting to see how different clans recruit their people. For example, I've just looked at Tinga's MIA post about their recruitment (http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/index.php?topic=725.0) and it just shows HOW different recruitment can be.

MIA: Open recruitment where you can apply and are chosen according to age, teamwork, etc. I don't know if you have to be especially known to the clan in order to get in.

AUST: We at AUST take months to decide wether the person gets an invitation, only our head and deputy admins are allowd to hand them out and after that, the recruitment process starts. We all try to talk to the recruit, we vote on him when he has written a recruitment post and after he is voted into the clan, he's still on an (at least) one month probation in which time we keep an extremely close eye on him.
    The invitation is handed out on the following criterias: Friendliness, fairness, good fun, etc. It's also good to be on TS a lot but its not a must. And when the general consensus is that the person should not be allowed into the clan, he's not, so the admins don't or very seldomly overrule us.

Anyway I'd just like your ideas about what kind of recruitment suits you better and I'd love to have Tinga write a little post about how they actually DO recruit, because obviously I know very little about MIA.

Re: How to recruit

Sure. Now that I've been promoted to the Recruit Department I'd say it's fitting.

1)Putting in your Application:ANYBODY can put in an application to be part of MIA. The people that decide if your application is accepted in our security department. They check to see if you have been PB banned or banned by us on our servers. No special skills in game are required, we just prefer ages 14 and up. Also we even have a special Department (the Young Gunz) and server just for them.

2) If you application is approved, CONGRATS you are now a recruit. The recruitment period lasts somewhere between 3-4 weeks. Some of the requirements we have for recruits is to:
    1. Be active in our forums (Don't just be a bump on a log, tell us about yourself, get INTO the clan)

2.Get Registered in Teamspeak (All our members are required to be in TS playing on our servers. If you don't have a mic..OK, just log in an click the no mic option.) We find this helps with answering questions of the new recruits, fostering teamwork and just enjoy the clan environment. Anybody is allowed to join us in TS

3.Attend a Recruit meeting (This meeting is for the new recruits to ask questions about the recruitment process, get gaming tips and meet the recruit department.

4. The most important part of getting past recruit to full member is: Being a decent person. Don't hak, cuss out our members and follow the rules. Oh we've had plenty of recruit that just wanted to gain rank in the clan, cussed in TS at our members and even had a few hackers.

After all that is said and done the fun part INITIATION!!!

Initiation is where almost the whole clan turns out to welcome the new recruits to the clan. We go onto our tournament server, and everybody in the clan gets a shot at the recruits. Some choose to run them over with tanks, FAV's or gunships. Some prefer to get the coveted |r| tags. Either way, tons of people show up to welcome them into the clan. Usually a video is made and posted up. Initiation is what every recruit looks forward too.

So far, the process works fairly well. We have over 300 (I'd say that 100 active at any one time)members spread over 6-7 games. On average we get 20-30 applications a month. 9-14 of those made it to initiation. We don't actively recruit so much on our server to join MIA, But the people who aren't sporting clan tags and seem to play fair and like teamwork, we'll try to get a hold of them in-game.

{INFERNO}- It definitely is enlightening to see how other clans recruit/membership process. Does your clan prefer a smaller members base? How many are in your clan? I think both our clans are in agreement about getting good and clean players onto our servers and into our clans. You guys are in Australia right? I'm not sure how much time is between us or what games you guys play, but it'd be cool to set up a scrim sometime

Tinga,

We don't care HOW many people are in the clan but we like to be in contact with all of them and most of the guys are pretty good friends in RL too. We currently have 67 members SEE HERE but I'm not sure if the newest ones are already on there.

Indeed, most (~90%) of us are in Australia, but I for one am in Austria, Europe and we have players from the US, Brazil and Malaysia I think. I notice that you guys play BF2, but you don't seem to have a server and also only very few of us play BF2. But just hop on to our FORUM and post a scrim challenge. We'll be happy to respond!

We actually have 2 BF2 servers LOL
    Watch out though, some of our guys are REALLY good. I almost hate playing against them.

Strange, in your post I can see BF 2142, COD 4 and COD WOW servers as well as some game at the bottom of the list that I don't know, but no BF2 servers... Maybe you/I missed them?

Here are our 2 BF2 servers. I didn't post up the flyers yet because they aren't finished
    MIA started up as a BF2 clan and it's sad to see the BF2 servers empty

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Their is this website I like to refer to clans, it is called Tribe Haven. The guys writes blogs about clans, tactics, training, and recruiting. You can visit the main website here: http://tribehaven.com/

Why Limited Access Recruiting Works

Have you ever heard ” It’s really hard to get into our clan” or maybe “We only have one slot left and you are one of 8 possible new recruits”? It is called Limited Access Recruiting, and it means that a clan may be looking for a new member or two but they are extremely selective about who those new members will be.

At first glance it may seem like this kind of recruiting is silly, won’t work, or that the clan is seriously underestimating the need for new recruits. None of this is true, in fact you could expect to see this clan has excellent growth and retention of older members. Why? Why would not letting many people in actually IMPROVE recruiting? It isn’t for everyone, but let me show you how it works…

Source: http://tribehaven.com/uncategorized/...ruiting-works/
    How to Keep Your Members

You have put a lot of effort into recruiting members and you want to make sure that you are providing optimal service and value for them to stay. Keeping current members is arguably just as important as getting new ones, and you don’t want to see hours of recruiting effort go to waste. Here are some simple steps you can take to make sure you are retaining as much of your member body as possible.

Source: http://tribehaven.com/uncategorized/...-your-members/
    Basics of Recruiting

Recruiting new members into your team is arguably one of the most important activities a team must pursue. Taking in new members is fundamental to a teams growth and its ability to maintain over time. Recruiting new members also offers you new talent and a vast opportunity of new skills outside of the game. To begin with I want to cover some basic concepts and ideas that each team should be doing to ensure best recruitment results.

Source: http://tribehaven.com/uncategorized/placeholder/

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Hey Moreno, this is a great reference and everyone should check it out... some really great tips.

Some really good tips indeed, about the first one:

I did the same thing, even when we were still unknown and it worked.

Also, some people showed they were actually not mature enough yet to join the clan ... (eg: I said there was no place atm, some would flame )

good old times ...
    [/url]

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

i do think recruiting drives during certain times really does work to get people in and keep them in a clan. For some reason if you can join anytime it all seems too easy and not special, but if the clan announces 'recruitment open' and then let members vote on recruits, the whole process becomes a special event for the person that makes it in.

maybe HH should have the same thing?

haha, that's true.

Especially when the person gets accepted, he or she is very pleased, I noticed that lots of times
    [/url]

Hello all,

Our clan is as we put it a comfortable 6, we are recruiting but it is in no way a priority.

Our current members either have known each other for years, or as in my case have made an impression on the members and clan leader. I was invited into the clan after many hours gaming with and talking to (on vent) all of the members.

This I guess is my point, If we don't know you, you don't have a prayer.
    We all belonged to other clans and got sick and tired of ghost members, and worse than that ghost leaders. As was the case of my previous clan, a clan that had been together since UT99. There was a leader that never made time to be a leader anymore and members that had not made a post in the forum or even visited the clan website for as much as 2 years, yes 2 years.

We all wanted more and will expect more from any prospective members.
    A comfortable 6 we are, we enjoy gaming with each other, we show respect to all, we host our servers for our enjoyment and if others join us that's all the better. We simply don't want to be brought down by someone with a good front and I'm sure you all know what I mean and we don't want our clan tag to be given a bad name. You can certainly tell more about someone by just talking to them many times over a period of time than how they answer a few or even a few dozen questions. We tell applicants up front we will have to get to know them before they are considered and that could take some time.

As for how they play, that's not an issue as long as they don't cheat and don't run-n-gun on the stealth sniper server lol. And posting in the forum, again not really an issue, you see some people can't express themselves in writing and some even will shudder at the very thought of posting in a forum. This in no way means there bad people or bad players so how can it be held against them.

Right now our servers are kind of slow due to the fact that one of our members is in the USAF stationed in Kuwait another is on the road with Star Wars in Concert and a third had been ill. We also have formed an alliance with a Canadian/UK clan -={BS}=- Bravo Squad which is very similar to us in size and beliefs. We may be on there servers as we are both trying to bring people to each others servers.

I will end with this, we would certainly love to have more members but not at the cost of the camaraderie and good name we now enjoy.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

quality over quantity is a good way to go... and to have a solid core of several people to build a clan with is always better than trying to build a clan based on a game title.

thanks for the add.