Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Macintosh Users using Boot Camp

Taking a Screen Shot:

Using Windows XP

Press F14. This copies whatever is on your screen.

Go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint.

Paste your clipboard image into the program.

You can then select the area you want, like a window, Control-C to copy, Control-N for new, Control-V to paste your selection and then save as... jpg.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Re: Macintosh Users using Boot Camp

Calendar & Alarm:

anyone know of a free alarm/alert program (like a calendar) for Windows XP, to help me keep appointments, etc.? Maybe there's one built in that I haven't found yet.

Thanks for the help.

I know that vista has the "Windows Calendar", otherwise, Mozilla, makers of Firefox, have some pretty good software choices also. They are Sunbird and Lightning. I have used Sunbird before and it was very well put together.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Excellent, went with sunbird and it looks like it'll work perfectly, thanks Kevlar.

Setting the Time:
    Now for what looks to be a second issue related to having an alarm. For some reason my clock on the PC is always off by about 6 hours, any ideas how to fix this? Under Control Panel>Date&Time i have the right Time Zone (GMT-05:00... New York). Time synchronization (is set to automatic) seems to be every 7 days, which appear to fix the problem for that day. Any suggestions?

I searched a little bit, and found this, but I couldn't read the link because I didn't want to make an Apple ID. Seems like it is an issue that is happening to pretty much everyone that is using Boot Camp

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...52&postcount=4

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Thanks for looking, at least I know now that it's not something I'm doing wrong.

Speaking of issues, now I have a bigger one. What's the saying? when it rains...

Downloading a anti-key logger application (http://www.anti-keylogger.net/), the program seems to have crashed windows, even tho I'm able to type this messages on the PC via launching Safari thru the 'Help and Support Center' window, my desktop is blank, not even a Start button. Apparently it keeps trying to initialize the program but fails, then windows says it needs to shutdown... when I restart it launches this program again repeating the same issue (over and over).

You know how to disable any startup applications or whatever so I can restore my desktop and remove this app?

WORKAROUND (Update Edit for anyone experiencing this issue): Have your cursor ready to click on the START button. When the desktop does appear, quickly click START and then click Control Panel (Right column, 3rd from the top). It will launch allowing you to use your PC.

Using Windows XP, when I startup windows xp I see the desktop for about 3 seconds.

BTW, I'm able to open the PC hard-drive from my Macintosh side, so am able to trash the files in the Startup directory, but don't know where that's located, if someone could point me to it, it be much appreciated.

Grrr been disturbed while working on this reply sooner today and I lost everything :'(

Here we go again...

A problem like yours could be caused by different things.

Examples:

• A corrupted file
    • A virus
    • A conflict between the new software and one of your other security software.
    • The "reaction" of hidden crap already on your PC after detecting the new software installation.

In case your PC is infected, if it's possible the best thing would be to download the tools on another PC and work on yours offline the time you're trying to find and fix your problem.

Generally when I work personnaly on a PC, I prefer to start by checking and doing a few things manually before using tools but in a case like yours, we'll have no choice to go by trying a few useful tools.

(Seems I'll have to verify some things because I was sure certain tools was already in our tech help section but I can't find them.

You could start with Dr.Web CureIt! but the scanning process could take over 2 hours. (If you're in a rush and need your PC asap, you can wait and try the other ones before in case your problem is easy to fix.)

http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/index.php?topic=359.0:

http://www.hijackfree.com/en/

Hijackfree is kind of multifunction tool. It will allow you to see all the startup programs and the processes list. (Generally can also delete scrap in your quarantine folder if your antivirus is unable to clean some files.)

Unlocker 1.8.7 is good to eliminate completely a software

http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/index.php?topic=508.0

WindowsCare Personal is an easy to use multifunction tool. Could be helpful. (WARNING!!! THE Iobit WCP security scanner option will show you all the "possible hijack list" Maybe none of the list is a hijack so it's important to never delete something you,re not sure about. http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/index.php?topic=536.0

Process Library will be helpful if you have doubt about a particular unknown process and you want to be sure it's not kind of crap running in your back. http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/index.php?topic=508.0

When you have serious doubts about an unknown file, just by checking the date the file was created can help you a lot.

Hope it'll help

(You cnovinced me my serie of articles about security and speed performance will be very useful.)

Good luck,

O3CT

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

2 days ago I ran Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware which did find/delete some files. Worked fine.

Yesterday I downloaded SunBird, a calendar program, which seemed to work fine too.

I really don't have much on the PC, just a couple of games. I do run AVG Virus program which might be causing a conflict.

What I'd like to know is,
    • what is the directory path that startup items reside in (so I can delete them)?
    • And, is there a way to disable Startup items like on a Mac? Perhaps putting in my Windows XP CD and booting from it... is that possible and how do you do that (on Mac you hold down the Apple-Option keys when starting)?

Since I don't have access to the PC desktop, I can't download any of the programs you mention and run them to check for problems. To be clear, all I see is the desktop background image, no icons or anything else, except the 'can't run application, must restart' and 'send an error report?' messages.

If I have to, I'll just copy the files I want to backup onto the Mac (which is totally easy) and reformat the PC partition again, but I figure there must be an easier way to just disable any automatic startup applications that launch when I turn on the PC, and then delete them with the Add/Remove applications tool.

Thanks for the help.

Not sure if at least you're able to get into windows Safe mode. (Press and hold your "F8 Key" while the PC is booting. Should bring up the "Windows Advanced Options Menu". The Safe Mode would be a good start

depending the PC, if you press and hold a key as the computer is booting you'll get a stuck key message. If it's the case, instead of pressing and holding the "F8 key", tap the "F8 key" continuously until you get the startup menu.

If after several attempts you are unable to get into Windows Safe Mode as the computer is booting into Windows, turn off your computer. When the computer is turned on the next time, Windows should notice that the computer did not successfully boot and give you the Safe Mode screen.

Sry but I'm actually in a hurry now so I'll add info later at home.

CYA,

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

this is research in progress... i haven't attempted any of the following, yet:

I found the Startup folder...
    Documents And Settings>'user name'>Start Menu>Programs>Startup

These are the error messages i've been getting: "lsass.exe-Operation Failed"... and, "CTF Loader encountered a problem"

I understand it could be a virus or maybe not.

This thread on PCMech appears to be explaining my exact problem HERE

The user stated that "I ended up getting into safemode via msconfig, then restored back a couple days."

I'd like to know how he got into msconfig without a START button?

Safe mode, as we’ve addressed before, is a barebones mode of Windows which is useful for troubleshooting purposes. Typically, one gets into safe mode by restarting and either holding the CTRL key down or by pressing the F8 button at the right time. This would give a menu with boot options, of which safe mode is one of them. However, if you use a USB keyboard, this isn’t an option for you because the USB drivers are not loaded in the DOS environment. For you, you need to tell Windows to load up in safe mode on its next reboot when in regular Windows. To do this, go to the start menu, Run, and enter “msconfig” to launch the System Configuration Utility. Click on the BOOT.INI tab and check the box which says “/SAFEBOOT”. Now, when you reboot, it will enter safe mode automatically, and will continue to do so until you go back into this program and uncheck that box (which you can do from safe mode).

Okay, found this:
    you need any old XP cd to do a repair install.
    Repair Install is for unbootable hard-drives and is considered a last ditch effort. The loss of data during this process is minimal, but you should backup your data anyway, especially if you bought software that was downloaded.

Here's a Guide on "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
    Read the warning messages and save copies of the files they say to backup. There are several specific files in specific directories that you should copy to a safe place. You can do this via the MacOS X by opening your 'no name' PC hard-drive partition.

Of course you can't use the suggestion in the first option.

Normally to have access to msconfig you have to

Click Start → Run
    In the Open box type msconfig and then click on OK or press Enter
    Select the Startup tab and a window will be shown similar to one of those below (click on the thumbnail and it will open full-size in another window)

mscongig location is generally : C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386 but honestly it won't help because it's a .exe file so the list is not in that file

Particular places where you can expect to find some crappy files to delete would be:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\

C:\Documents and Settings\Your name\Application Data\

If you remember where you installed the software you suspect you can delete everything manually.

For the moment I'm not sure what would be the best to do so I'll try to contact a colleague I have (from another school) tomorrow during the day to have his opinion.

CYA,

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Update:

I deleted the file for xFire in the startup folder via from the MacOS desktop, and was able to get the PC back. Since that worked I went ahead and uninstalled xFire altogether (saved vids and can easily reinstall it later if need be). I ran AVG Anti-Virus complete scan which found nothing.

I'm about to run the Malwarebytes Anti=Malware again, just to be sure. And then, will do the Windows update and after, find a different Anti-KeyLogger to see if I can make it work again.

Hopefully if I restart, all will be fine.

Update:
    Results of Malwarebytes Anti=Malware complete scan:
    • Memory Processes Infected: 0
    • Memory Modules Infected: 0
    • Registry Keys Infected: 0
    • Registry Values Infected: 0
    • Registry Data Items Infected: 0
    • Folders Infected: 0
    • Files Infected: 0

This is the full message I get:
    Data Execution Prevention
    To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.
    Name: Run a DLL as an App
    Publisher: Microsoft
    I've uninstalled the calendar program and also the Malware program, but still getting error message.
    Also got this error message:
    Data Execution Prevention
    To help protect your computer, Windows has closed this program.
    Name: CTF Loader
    Publisher: Microsoft
    UPDATE: WORKAROUND (Update Edit for anyone experiencing this issue): Have your cursor ready to click on the START button. When the desktop does appear, quickly click START and then click Control Panel (Right column, 3rd from the top). It will launch allowing you to use your PC.

This means I can run any program that you think might help fix this problem. Using this workaround, the only message I'm getting now is the "Can't launch CTF Loader" and noted above in quotes.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

nix all of the above... got sick of trying to fix it and just started over. Doing so I was able to create a larger partition of 72GBs which is big enough for me. It also allowed me to update to SP3 (Service Pack 3). I now have very good virus, malware and other protection on my 'PC'.

TIP:
    To quit a program that has crashed:
    Press Control>Option (Alt)>delete 'x' key. The 'delete-x' key is near the main delete key, next to the help and end keys on your Mac keyboard.
    It brings up a new window, just click on 'end now'... and if it doesn't 'end now' do it again and it'll work the second time.