Thread: What's changed?

What's changed?

It seemed to me, that COD 4, Modern Warfare 1 and COD '5' Modern Warfare 2 started to transition from multiplayer maps that seemed like real world settings, to maps that while they had real world elements were more like arena game play.

In COD 4 every map I can remember seemed like it could be a real world setting, and I remember most of them pretty well.

Modern Warfare 2 had similar maps in this respect but the Mall map and a bit of the Airport seemed a bit of swiss cheesy.

What is a swiss cheesy map?
    It's a map that is so full of holes that if you stop for a moment someone is bound to our flank you and shoot you in the side or back. This forces you to constantly run. It's ironic but this sometimes creates the clockwise motion of gamers around the map, each trying to catch up to the other. The 'good' gamers aren't actually good, they've just picked the lightest weapons and fastest perks, found the right holes in the cheese to surprise their opponents.

For many gamers this can be really fun enhancing the thrill of the pace of the game and the unexpected.

For others it becomes so contrived, artificial and fake it robs the fun and thrill of the game.

I must admit there were some really great battles with COD 4 MW1 where two sides where pushing and pulling trying to find a way to gain an advantage.

The later games seem so filled with holes I ended up dropping out, but want to hear from someone who still games COD titles and remembers COD 4 maps to be able to compare.

Nice video. Its really entertaining to watch how many changes were made. This reminds me of those videos where they record an apple, etc. in a process of rotting and then speed it up when showing the video.

Now lets talk about the game itself.

The Good: graphics have been hugely improved.
    The Bad: the only thing that is ever being improved is graphics.
    The Ugly: with the graphics like that you get a pretty looking game that demands a pretty large investment in your gaming rig and those who can not afford the high end stuff will have to set their graphics settings low. By the way, most of the old glicthes are still there. So the game will look as ugly as before and you will suffer the same glitches as in 2007.
    Last edited by EDIS; 03-17-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Besides the maps I never liked, there are a few other things:

Servers, what's up with hosting yourself?

So many selections in the lobby (seems desperate to get kids on).

The undermining of mods, servers, clans and the rest of the gaming community.

The constant releases of games, so many it's actually getting hard to know what is the latest game

As you point out Edis, the glitches.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBean-HH- View Post
    Besides the maps I never liked, there are a few other things:

Servers, what's up with hosting yourself?

So many selections in the lobby (seems desperate to get kids on).
    Well if you can recall, in early CoD games you could host a server on your PC too. That is actually a good thing, because you can have clean game as if you like it that way off course.
    In my opinion - simplifying the server hosting and enabling every player to have his own server is a good thing. It kept so many old games alive....until GameSpy has shut down all the master servers.
    The only difference is the average gamers age...today we have 10 year olds hosting servers and they got no idea what they are doing.
    I remember that would join other servers if there were any regardless of the fact that I could host my own.

The undermining of mods, servers, clans and the rest of the gaming community.
    Exactly. They do that because in old days there were so many pro's who would make all the noobs stop playing. Unfortunately, the majority is noobs and so the developers learned from their mistakes.
    Undermine the minority (skilled players, moders, mapmakers etc.) and so encourage noobs to play. It works as you can see, the profits went through the roof.
    And so we remain silent now or more like nobody is listening to us and for the same reason the hacking is thriving.
    You see...companies want to have the full control over everything what is going on. Proper gaming communities had a power to ban cheaters, because most of these communities would keep in touch and take a global action. The days when we used to see some hacker being called "noob", get banned from a server, reported in several forums and we never saw the guy again - are over. Tables have turned - now hackers are calling us noobs while kicking our asses. How the mighty has fallen....
    This is maily what my belief that there are no skills nor really good players in today's fps games is based on. The other reasons are that games too demanding graghicswise and way too easy...so any possibility of gaining skills is little to none.

The constant releases of games, so many it's actually getting hard to know what is the latest game
    Yeah and because there is a new CoD every year - the story and the game look so much like the previous ones and the rest of games on the market.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Agreed.

I think quite a few hardcore players have gone to ARMA and other simulations where you're typical COD players is not likely to show up or if they do won't hang around for long.

The game server that drives me crazy is the one where 1) you have to wait for enough players and 2) has to search for another 'server' when the person acting as server leaves the game.

I think quite a few hardcore players have gone to ARMA and other simulations where you're typical COD players is not likely to show up or if they do won't hang around for long.
    That's right.

The game server that drives me crazy is the one where 1) you have to wait for enough players and 2) has to search for another 'server' when the person acting as server leaves the game.
    yeah that is a very good example of how things can go wrong.