Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Stop-Cheats.com, the next step: Suggestions

Post any suggestions about what we should do with the petition once we reach our goal. Of course the people at Stop-Cheats.com already have an aggenda, but I've seen people making suggestions on other forums, we'd like to see those suggestions posted here to keep track and take them into consideration.

So post away.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Re: Stop-Cheats.com, the next step: Suggestions

Maybe a big factor to why Game developers do not have great Anti-cheat support is cost. Maybe for HH and stop-cheats petition. We can raise money for like lets say every 3 months we donate it to a Game developer towards AC. and say out of a year we donate to 4 different company's.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

It has really nothing to do with cost. Hiring a lawyer or lawyers is paid for by the resulting verdict, so essentially it doesn't cost them anything. But i do think there is a lack of interest. We need to push this petition to get them to wake up. If they don't then maybe we could do a boycott or something to really wake them up. Suing someone is actually very easy, and Game Developers, the big ones, not only have the money, but they also have the right to do it unlike gamers or AntiCheat Organizations. What they are lacking is motivation. Lets give it to them.

My hope is that EA, IW and maybe a couple of others will each select one Game Cheat Developer and sue them. Shutting the top few will send shivers to all of the wanna-bees making them run like rats. It will make a huge difference if this happens.

Not only is apathy a problem among game developers, but I also think that because many are coders there is a slight sympathy for other coders, even if the other coders are doing illegal activities. If the Game Developers have us sign 'agreements' before playing our games, then they need to start enforcing those agreements and take action. Gaming is all grown up now... it's a huge money maker and it's time they start acting like grown-ups and do the right thing, which is to not only protect their game but protect the innocent public from abuse that's funneled through their product.

Isn't the creation, distribution, sale or publication of cheats and hacks copyright infringement?

If so it should be easy to file charges and just as easy to win.

This would be at little or no cost to the one infringed upon.

Quote Originally Posted by {OCS}CrushKill-HH-
    Isn't the creation, distribution, sale or publication of cheats and hacks copyright infringement?

If so it should be easy to file charges and just as easy to win.

This would be at little or no cost to the one infringed upon.
    Hacks alter the game in such a way to give unfair advantages over another. That would be against most games' agreements (filed under bug-abuse probably). Anti-cheat projects such as mine, EvoSoft, where the anti-cheat itself also interacts with the game to a certain extent, is usually against agreements aswell.

Being a programmer myself, I know it would take a LONG time for developers to protect their games.... Say, rougly put, 3-5 days extra? If only they cared and protected their games a bit more, it would keep 95% or more of all the hacks out. They will never stop the 'Pro' hackers, but they will stop the wannabees and script kiddies.

Umm... I can help a bit. My clans website is getting about 70,000 hits a day since the release of BFBC2. Can I get the code to the Stop Cheats Petition so I can add it to my signature over there? I know it is only a small thing, but it might have really good visibility.

EDIT... Nevermind. I found it.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Thanks Karvin, really appreciated. Glad you found the code too

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Hey Evolution. Its me from your website. 8amoreno.

Thanks and also glad that you could help out when so many are not willing to try.

Thank you Karvin,

We greatly appreciate the support.

I seem to be saying this a lot and that's a good thing.

I think a major thing that the game developers arent seeing is that there are so much money that they lose to hackers that its ridiculous. I cant remember the exact number but like 2 years ago, IW issued a report about COD4. They were saying that the number of illegal copies in the world has like a 2 to 1 ratio over legit copies. How many of those are hackers? Those already break all sorts of copyright laws.

For all of those illegal copies

From Adobe - http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/anti...penalties.html
    There are significant financial and legal penalties for software piracy. Illegal distribution and use of software can result in prison terms of up to five years, and felony charges with fines up to US$250,000. In civil litigation against those who illegally distribute Adobe software, Adobe can obtain the higher of its lost profits, the infringer's profits, or statutory damages of up to $US150,000 per product infringed, plus Adobe's attorney fees.

But the costs are not measured in dollars alone. When organizations are legally prosecuted for software piracy, they also suffer significant damage to their reputation.
    This isnt just for adobe, this is the piracy law. Think for a second, theres something like 14 million copies of cod4 both legit and cracked, with that 2 to 1 ratio. Thats something like 9,333,333 copies that are illegal. Say you catch all of the people that are selling the cracked games. How much money can they gain? I can say right now, they can not even make a game for a few years and they wont have to worry about hurting for money because they will be swimming in cash.

For those hackers, thats copyright infringement.

From Copyright.com - http://www.copyright.com/Services/co...asics/law.html
    By reproducing, republishing or redistributing the work of a copyright holder without permission, you may be violating or infringing on his or her rights under the Copyright Act.

If the copyright holder has registered the work with the U.S. Copyright Office prior to the infringement, the copyright holder may sue for compensation. Court-ordered compensation may include damages such as lost profits from the infringing activity or statutory damages ranging from $250 to $150,000, plus attorneys' fees, for each infringing copy. Even higher damages may be awarded if the court feels that the infringement was committed "willfully."

You may also be criminally liable if you willfully copy a work for profit or financial gain, or if the copied work has a value of more than $1,000. In these cases, penalties can include a one-year jail sentence plus fines. If the value is more than $2,500, you may be sentenced to five years in jail plus fines. Criminal penalties generally apply to large-scale commercial piracy.
    So how many counts of that can we get? Even at 250 a copy, that still is alot. The game developers can be rolling in money.

The only thing that they have to do is prove that they have the copyright and show the number of copies that they sold. Which a court can probably order if they get just a few copies.

Is it going to be work for the game developers? Yes. Is there a huge pay out for it? Yes.

Credit to GeneralAce100

"Step your game up guys... Show me guys that I didn't make a mistake.  Show me that your worth counting on.  Show me that you can do, what we do." - Melfice_Elstang

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

I think they are afraid to do it.

http://a2gaming.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6613

Added this yesterday and already, I can see 1 of the admins signatures, and another admin added the large banner to their sig.

Credit to GeneralAce100

"Step your game up guys... Show me guys that I didn't make a mistake.  Show me that your worth counting on.  Show me that you can do, what we do." - Melfice_Elstang

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Good work! Glad to see the news spreading!

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Very cool Sneaky, let them know how much it's appreciated and keep us posted.

Great post Sneaky!

The word seems to be spreading like wildfire.

2110 Signatures as of today!

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

We are getting closer to our goals each and every day. Keep up the good work. I haven't heard from X-Ray ACP.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Crushkill, love the UserBar with Stop-Cheats. Can you make one that has only Stop-Cheats on it? and maybe alternates with a message 'have you had enough?' or something? That's one of the graphic elements I didn't get to and I think it's an important one to allow people to have it in their sigs. If you can make one, slow the animation down a little

Not a problem GreenBean.

I'll start on it straight away.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

these are pretty cool indeed. it's great to have a selection.

how many actual images are you using in order to get it to scroll up and down?

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Wow, great job crushkill. Will be sure to use them.

I'm glad you like them.

The top one was 40 frames and the stop signs are 80 frames.

I would have liked to make the first one with 80 frames but was limited to 90kb.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

ahh, so these are GIF's or did you use an online program to make them?

i wouldn't go over 80 frames as the files start getting to large for people to post... even better to keep them around 50 if at all possible.

'like the sig too, but while i know what it says i think others will have a hard time reading it, text needs to stand out a bit more... love that saying tho. cya.

It's 40 frames x2 for the direction change.

I made them with the Userbars.com userbar creator.

It's not bad with a 90kb limit per bar for free.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

I believe of we continue to strive on getting the word out, all the hard work we have done will eventually pay off! Game Developers want to sell there game and hacking can ruin a game, so they should protect the game and its users especially when hacking can involve real life money.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

I agree Moreno. I think we need to remind them directly more often to at a minimum make announcements against cheating as that does have an effect on the perception of cleaning up cheating in their games. I've noticed both EA and Crytek making periodic statements like this, but they are too far apart imo.

Here at HH we also need to do more regarding particular games and how to report cheaters through channels game developers have set up.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Agreed! I do know EA and DICE now implemented not to long ago a new way to report cheaters via battlelog.