Impersonator / rudeness

I'm thinking about these two subjects since a couple of days because I don't know if it's the kind of things that could be part of the HH mission.

You know what is the definition of an impersonator but why doing that?

• It can be someone playing with the name of a regular guest to try to have the name bannned on that server.
    • It can be someone playing with a real member name or a fake one but using the tags of the server owners. Can be used to have ppl mad at that specific member, to empty the server, to have fun fooling the guests saying weird and rude things, to start problems between Clan members, ... I'm sure you ever seen an impersonator saying stuff like: "It's our server so Clan members have the right to hack here".

(When I was with BONES an impersonator was doing the same playing with a few Clan members names.... including mine. I was kind of lucky because the day he played with my name, a few ppl were sure it couldn't me so he was reported quickly and by the IP, admins knew it was an impostor.)

• It can be someone playing with a real member name or a fake one and using tags of a real Clan on other servers. Can be used to discredit a Clan, to start wars between Clans, to have that Clan tags banned on that server. (Sometimes it's reprisals by an ex member who left in bad terms or by someone who were banned on the server of the Clan he's trying to discredit.)

The common point is....... most of the time an impersonator is hacking. The big difference is the collateral damage. Is there somethng we can (or should) do to help to prevent collateral damage or to help to patch problems when a war start between two Clans because an impersonator did something?

Impersonator / rudeness

I'm thinking about these two subjects since a couple of days because I don't know if it's the kind of things that could be part of the HH mission.

You know what is the definition of an impersonator but why doing that?

• It can be someone playing with the name of a regular guest to try to have the name bannned on that server.
    • It can be someone playing with a real member name or a fake one but using the tags of the server owners. Can be used to have ppl mad at that specific member, to empty the server, to have fun fooling the guests saying weird and rude things, to start problems between Clan members, ... I'm sure you ever seen an impersonator saying stuff like: "It's our server so Clan members have the right to hack here".

(When I was with BONES an impersonator was doing the same playing with a few Clan members names.... including mine. I was kind of lucky because the day he played with my name, a few ppl were sure it couldn't me so he was reported quickly and by the IP, admins knew it was an impostor.)

• It can be someone playing with a real member name or a fake one and using tags of a real Clan on other servers. Can be used to discredit a Clan, to start wars between Clans, to have that Clan tags banned on that server. (Sometimes it's reprisals by an ex member who left in bad terms or by someone who were banned on the server of the Clan he's trying to discredit.)

The common point is....... most of the time an impersonator is hacking. The big difference is the collateral damage. Is there somethng we can (or should) do to help to prevent collateral damage or to help to patch problems when a war start between two Clans because an impersonator did something?

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Re: Impersonator / rudeness

This is why all AC organizations require a GUID from the Admins log to prove that a certain player was actually on the server at the time the person is cheating or being of bad temperament ... while an investigation can start with a name it is by no means the end of an investigation, it's only a very tentative starting point.

I've had my name hijacked on several occasions and usually the admins would quickly check and verify it was not me. In fact on MFD server we had a special way I spelled my name so that everyone would know it was actually me... kind of funny because I stopped by after about a year of not playing with them and they immediately saw that I had changed the way I spelled my name, I couldn't believe that they even remembered after all that time, lol. I had to reassure them that it was actually me.

What's the term when someone steals your name? It has slipped my memory... must be late!

On the other hand, I've had and seen when people actually do it as a compliment, that is they might start using GreenBean #2 or whatever variation. These people mean no disrespect and quite the opposite... still I'll ask them to let me have my name alone, thank you very much! lol.

The question for SOUP is what can be done about it... what's the personality type that does that sort of thing in the first place?

TRUSTED ASSOCIATE+ !AR!BlackHawk's Avatar
    ARMA-Games

PB Name Registartion all the way!

It doesn't cost much, and if someone enters your server (and you set the server on autokick at a name hijack or even ban, then thats all over) next to that there will be a TAG below your GUID in the /pb_plist command with the tags (REGISTERD: BlaBlaBla)

TRUSTED ASSOCIATE+ !AR!BlackHawk's Avatar
    ARMA-Games

PB Name Registartion all the way!

It doesn't cost much, and if someone enters your server (and you set the server on autokick at a name hijack or even ban, then thats all over) next to that there will be a TAG below your GUID in the /pb_plist command with the tags (REGISTERD: BlaBlaBla)

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Yes, and I've registered for my name and HackHunters like the 2nd day HackHunters launched.

Here's the info that was posted in the AC Directory under PunkBuster:

NAME REGISTRY:
    EvenBalance offers players and clan a name registry that protects your name from being hijacked by an either mistaken individual or a cheat who may try and discredit your reputation as a non-cheating player.
    For the player it cost only $12 per year.
    For the clan who wishes to protect their tags the cost is $24 per year.

Read HERE for more information.

Before registering your name/tags at other AC services, you'll have to register it at EvenBalance first.

Weh ave our clan tag registered in CoD4

Weh ave our clan tag registered in CoD4

Thanks to Greenbean with the information, i have also registered my clan

A pit you could not do it with xfire, some idot was imperonating me and telling players they were out of the clan.. What little minded people, i think its because they cant change there own diaper/nappy and get frustrated

Thanks to Greenbean with the information, i have also registered my clan

A pit you could not do it with xfire, some idot was imperonating me and telling players they were out of the clan.. What little minded people, i think its because they cant change there own diaper/nappy and get frustrated