Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Bad & Good Server Signs

Signs of a BAD Server

Most servers and clans want to make for a fair and fun environment for everyone. Some aren't so generous and others are out-right abusive. Always look for the 'fun and fair' whenever possible and spend your time there.

If you spend your time on bad servers, you've given them the right to continue their behavior.

Keep in mind that all clans vary in the way they run their server and that's good for enhancing the gaming experience. Just don't let yourself become abused. If you find multiple bad issues that a clan doesn't wish to improve upon, then you should simply put your time into a server that has people who care about you and your experience. Would you really want it any other way?

1) KILLCAM: Is the KillCam turned off? Using it allows everyone to see how they were killed and quickly exposes individuals who cheat. Turning it off allows cheaters to hide the use of wall hacks, aimbots or other things. Yes, those people who are not wearing clan tags, but are cheating, are probably clan members. We encourage all clans to turn on the KillCam with the player option of not watching it (i.e., choice of watching killcam footage or of respawning). As suggested, it does not affect the game respawn time.

2) SPEC. Is Spectating turned off? Spec allows everyone the opportunity to watch a suspicious player. I also allows players to realise that someone is not cheating. To turn it off allows people to cheat freely and without question. Some servers will say that it allows more players to be playing, but even if this is the case, there should be at least 2 slots reserved for spec'ng. There is no excuse for not having spec available, except if your own clan members cheat. We encourage all clans to turn on spec and only kick those in spec who are AFK.

3) SPEC HAS MUSIC TURNED ON: Not an actual infraction but more of an oversight that had good intentions. The clan wants to improve your experience, but Spec on with music doesn't allow you to hear footsteps. This is not a good quality as it sometimes leads to wrongful accusations, since someone might hear the approach of an enemy and turn in their direction before they see them, leading to the sense that the person is using a wall cheat when they are not. We encourage all clans to turn off music and let the sounds of game be heard.

4) STACKED TEAMS: Are teams stacked consistantly against new player or non clan players? Sometimes a clan will do this simply to practice their team work, which is legitimate, but they shouldn't do this all the time on a public server. We suggest that if they do to make an announcement that they are playing as a group to practice. If they are doing it all the time, you're not going to have much fun.

5) DOMINATING CLAN MEMBERS: Do certain clan member totally dominate consistently with a score 30 or more points above everyone else, when everyone else's score is consistent with each other? There may be a problem here, like a super-charged computer, and might warrant investigation. Maybe they're just great, it's not impossible... you decide.

6) NO COMPLAINING: Does the clan say no complaining, yet certain unknown people are totally dominating? Yeah, sure, insist on shutting up your right to call into question someone who you feel is cheating. Instead of complaining, get their information (as outlined here), contact the clans administration via a PM (private message), see if they do or say anything and then report everything you've learned to us.

7) UNJUST BANS: Has the clan banned someone they say was cheating, but you think has never cheated, and they have no proof to support their claim. Contact us with the details. This is a common practice among clans who's leaders cheat and who may of been discovered by just an ordinary player. The clan cheater wants to get rid of the player and will yell 'cheater, cheater' to everyone in hopes of deterring the player from even complaining about the ban.

8.) DOMINATING TEAMS: Do you sometimes see one side that's being dominated and crushed, and players start to leave, without auto-balance filling in the vacancies? This is not a good sign. Usually players leave because they have just had enough, and if the clan isn't doing something about the situation, it shows that they could care less. So why play in this kind of environment? What's the fun in that. On the other hand, if the dominated side has clan members in it, then that's a sign that it's just the way the round turned out. Encourage the clan to turn on Auto-balance.

9) DOMINATING TEAMS BY ONE PLAYER: Total domination of a team can be caused by many reasons, the quality of players on each side, the quality of pings... but if it happens always because one particular player helps that team dominate, then that circumstance and individual could be questionable. The very best types of individuals, who dominate, will lighten up their game and even switch sides. It is the other type of dominator who are 'egomaniac hunter killers at all costs' who may be tempted to do anything to increase their standing and score including cheating. Keep an eye on them and watch for any suspicious activity. It is always possible that they're really good and want to just play their game which is fine, as long as they're not taking advantage of people using cheats. We think that clans should try and keep the teams 'skill level' balanced as well as auto-balanced.

10) GLITCHES: sometimes it's fun to explore the map with others, even with those on different teams but if you're doing so no one should get killed and everyone on the server at that time understands this. If you know someone who uses these glitches, you're looking at someone who will do anything to increase their standing and score. Report them and see if the clan does anything.

11) DOMINATING PLAYER: Does someone always dominate consistently? Look at the context... Even good players have their ups and downs, it depends on the dynamics of the game. If there is a dominator, and the clan has never banned people, well, you may be looking at a problem. If on the other hand you discover that the player is, say a sniper who keeps their distance consistently from the enemy, well, that can be understood. Look at the context of who's owning everyone and use your common sense.

12) CLAN BEHAVIOR: Do clan members have good attitudes? Are they insulting players, using profanity? Report bad behavior to us with a screenshot.

Are you discovering and experiencing multiple 'bad signs'? Maybe you should check out some other servers.

signs

I'd like permission to share this information with the rest of my ADMINS.
    May I post it to my web site forums?
    Thank you for the wealth of information provided.

|DM|_ladyCAZ

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

signs

Sure, just make a link back here to this thread as a credit. thanks.

Unlike another clan who grabbed a bunch of our information, and when I posted in the thread where they posted the info, saying, 'it's great you found this of use" they blocked my posts. We should pay them a visit sometime

signs

Thank you.
    Will gladly supply the link on my post. I believe that to be more than fair
    for excellent advice.
    |DM|_ladyCAZ

signs

nice post here we to go thru these steps but you got more I to would like to use this for our new staff members as thay review new apps

I never thought about Video Cards,RECRUITING,DOMINATION,COMPUTER SETTINGS
    and yes ill have this link to your site also
    <br /><br /><br /><br />

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

signs

cool, glad to help

signs

Hello everyone,
    Im new to this site, and think its a great Network of people that love to play the game the way its supposed to. I just wanted to let you know I have copied this to my clans forum as I really agree with it. As a founder or a clan I am always trying to improve my clan and the server I rent. Just wanted to say Hi and let everyone know how great this post was. I did link to your site in my post so everyone can see this forum as well

http://fsclan.darkbb.com/clan-talk-f...-t120.htm#1302

signs

Hey there Baxter
    Just want to let you know that you missed out the first 2 points and I think I typed a wrong mail into the registration. It should be metal-is-kickass@hotmail.com could you please check? Cheers Inferno

Re: Bad & Good Server Signs

Signs of a gOOd Server

You can find more information about Clans HERE on our website.
    Before we start, did you know that there is a special Game Browser for players that shows which servers are protected by PunksBusted (one of the enforcers of PunkBuster software). You can find all the info at PunksBuster forum here: http://www.punksbusted.com/forums/in...p?showforum=92 and download this little but useful program. It supports the games AA, Bttfield &#39;42, Viet, 2; COD, UO, 2, 4; FarCry, Castle Wolfenstein and ETerritory, Quake3, Soldier of Fortune 2.

1) PunkBuster ACTIVE: Do you occasionally see PB kicking people? This is a good sign in that it shows PB is working properly. But this isn&#39;t the only sign you should look for as PunkBuster sometimes doesn&#39;t kick or ban cheaters (only cheats that interfere with their software get banned), so you should also look for servers that are streaming AON, ACI, PsB, PPBans or some other service which actually takes the &#39;kick&#39; of PunkBuster and make it a permanent ban, insuring that the server you&#39;re playing on is better protected.

2) BAN PLEAS: Does the clan have a section where people can plead there case against a ban? This is a good sign in that the clan actively engaged in rooting out cheaters and is making sure the system works.

3) CLAN MEMBER BANNED: Has the clan ever banned one of its own clan members? This is obviously a very good sign in that they do not tolerate cheaters. Please let us know who they are.

4) UNBAN: Does a clan sometimes unban someone? This is a good sign in that they are examining the data and making informed decisions.

5) WHY WAS THE CLAN FORMED: We know of at least one clan that was established after all its members left another clan who&#39;s founder admitted to cheating. If you know this type of information or a clan who established itself as a result of these type of circumstances, share it with us too.

6) POSITIVE ATTITUDES: Do the members of the clan say &#39;gg&#39; and have a little banter among themselves in the public voice chat? This is a good sign as it shows they&#39;re not hiding anything and they are there to have fun.

7) CLAN SPEC&#39;NG: Do you see clan members in spec occasionally? This is a good sign in that they are keeping an eye on things.

8.) CAUTIONS: Do you see clan members caution someone if they&#39;re getting out of hand with language or insults? This is a good sign in that the clan is keeping a cap on the quality of experience which is probably a sign that their keeping a cap on cheating.

9) AUTO-BALANCE: Is auto-balance turned on? This will help prevent stacking and shows that a clan wants to keep the game fair and fun.

10) KEEPING SIDES EVEN: Do you ever see a dominating clan member switch themselves to the team that&#39;s being dominated, in order to make the game more &#39;skill level&#39; fair? This is a good sign in that the clan is making an effort to keep the game fair, balanced and fun for all.

11) MAKING AN EFFORT: Are clan members making an effort? Instead of attacking your suspicion, do you see them go to spec? Do they ask you to &#39;cool it&#39; instead of telling you to &#39;shut up&#39; (if so, they&#39;re probably using the info you just gave them)? All should understand that even good servers will have to deal with a lot. It is always good to give them a chance and see how well the server is administered over time.

12) YOUR BEHAVIOR: Many clans don&#39;t want to ruin the fun dealing with people yelling "so and so is a cheat". It is better to let a clan member know in a quiet way and watch to see if they do anything about it. There is never a need to be abusive and if you are, you may turn out to be the problem.

13) ANNOUNCEMENTS: Do you see clan announcements, like &#39;welcome to our server&#39;, etc. This is a good sign in that it shows that the clan is actively engaged in the server&#39;s maintenance.

14) RECRUITING: Does the clan have periodic recruiting? This may or may not be a good sign but typically shows that a clan simply wants good people in order to increase the fun for everyone. Totally open recruiting isn&#39;t particullarily good as it shows that there is no scruitney... anyone can join, even those sneaky-type of cheaters.

15) DOMINATION: Is the server full of your best players, but a stranger has 20, 30 kills higher than anyone else consistently when they play? What are you waiting for? Kick them and say &#39;no domination playingf&#39;. If they&#39;re hacking, they&#39;ll probably leave to find somewhere else they can dominate. If they return and follow this new rule, you&#39;re probably looking at just a good player. We don&#39;t recommend kicking someone just because they dominate a few games... watch over a period of games, most players, even skilled ones, will fluctuate game to game.

16) COMPUTER SETTINGS: We do not recommend allowing ridiculous frame rates like anything over 125 fps, or other out-ragious settings that will obviously give that person a distinct advantage over others typical players. Also, make sure that any allowed enhancements are publicly accessible in your forum as well as advertising their use within the game. The goal here is to reasonably make for a fair and balanced gaming environment for everyone.

17) VIDEO CARDS: Some video cards are not supported by certain games. These cards can allow those people to see without fog or other effects. AON has a strick policy which we agree with.

1 SCREEN SHOT CHECKS: Does the clan take, check or request you to send in screen shots? If so, this is a good sign in that they are actively checking for things that maybe PB, AON or the others missed, like no foliage, no smoke, glow hacks, etc.

Do you see several players in spec 24/7?

BAD: This is the server's attempt at inflating their ranking artifically, thus giving them a higher rank number in the Master Server List making their server easier to see for gamers and potentially helping them get gamers into their servers. This is cheating, obviously, as it is a disadvantage to honestly run servers.

GOOD: Keeping a Clan member or two in spec is a good thing as it gives the impression that people are watching the game, and maybe they are, maybe they're not. This is good. A tip for those who do this... if there is no one on the server you should get out of spec, here's why: if people come to expect that say 2 people are always in spec even if no body is playing, they'll 1) know that the people in spec are actually spec'ng and 2) gamers will not join your server even if 4 people are showing up as being online as they will know that probably 2 of them are not playing.

CONSEQUENCES OF STACKING IN SPEC: If you are discovered, your server will pay the price as server ranking companies are taking action:

From GameTracker:

Recently there have been servers using various 'cheats' that make fake players that look like real players, only that when you join their server, the players don't exist. Since these fake players are more difficult to detect, due to the lack of information servers typically report on each player, we have opted to start flagging these servers, and penalizing them.

Currently, the penalty for being flagged is having your player counts reduced to 1/5th the number. (ie: if your server if flagged, and is reporting 60 players, GM will report that there is only 15 players playing).

Good thread GreenBean,