Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Problem with Cheaters... Dirt 3, Sony, etc.

There is a little problem that arrises when a person choses to support a cheat site by purchasing, using, and/or being a part of such activities, and that is those activities branch out and grow. Most of us have heard about Sony's hacking problems and the PS3, and now Dirt 3 has been compromised with the theft of 3 million digital copies of the game.

At a minimum these attacks will cost us gamers money at the register in order to implement even more security measures. Beyond this, cheating undermines internet security and thus real life security. It might seem harmless to cheat in a game, but fundamentally the cheater is supporting an illegal activity which allows those activities to branch out like an untamed vine that consumes everything in it's path.

Update: 3 million Dirt 3 codes stolen

by Rachel Weber 06/09/2011 @ 11:08
    Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...3-codes-stolen

3 million digital copies of Dirt 3 have been accessed after codes for the popular racing title were stole from a third party website involved in a promotion with AMD graphics cards.

The list of codes was then distributed.

"This past weekend, activation keys associated with free Dirt 3 game vouchers shipping with select AMD products were compromised," read AMD's official website.

"These activation keys were hosted on a third party fulfilment agency website, www.AMD4u.com, and did not reside on AMD's website. Neither the AMD nor Codemasters servers were involved."

"We are working closely with Steam, Codemasters, and our fulfilment agency to address the situation. AMD will continue to honour all valid game vouchers, however the current situation may result in a short delay before the vouchers can be redeemed."

Sony appoints ex-Homeland Security chief

by Rachel Weber 06/09/2011 @ 12:27
    Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...security-chief

Sony has hired Philip Reitinger, who was previously the director of the U.S. National Cyber Security Center, as chief information security officer.

"Certainly the network issue was a catalyst for the appointment," a Sony spokesman told Reuters.

"We are looking to bolster our network security even further."

Reitinger's career history also includes work with Microsoft and the U.S. Department of Defense.

The measure should help prevent hacker attacks like the one experienced by the company in April. Hackers accessed the data of over 77 million user accounts, while Sony Online Entertainment's website was also breaches and customer data lost.

Sony CEO Howard Stringer recently revealed that as well as being more secure, the PSN service was also more successful since the attacks.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Re: Problem with Cheaters... Dirt 3, Sony, etc.

I've read on the 3 million codes stolen and what I've learned was that all the codes that were stolen because of the leak will be deactivated even if someone activated it already. So if they used it on steam, downloaded it etc. Eventually it will be deactivated and useless game.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Re: Problem with Cheaters... Dirt 3, Sony, etc.

That's what I've heard Moreno as well

check out the link www.AMD4u.com says they'll return shortly...

I've also read that they will track down anyone who uses the stolen codes and deactivate/ban their Steam accounts.

It's not so much about the game Dirt3 or any other game, it's more that cheating in games and it's variations are partly what is funding/motivating someone to steal these codes (and I'm sure they have a perfectly 'logical' excuse for doing so like 'I'm only trying to help point out a weakness in their security' which is somewhat similar to what a home invader said to me a few months back before scared the liquids out of his system by chasing him out).

The more of these incidents I hear about the more it reminds me of organized crime tactics which, the mob, is basically gangs of bullies fleecing companies and people whenever there is an opportunity to steal. I don't know, maybe it isn't organized, but the Sony thing sounded like people (hackers/crackers) taking revenge and coordinating as if they were organized in some way.