Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Pre-Launch: EA omits Steam from Retailers

EA omits Steam from list of Battlefield 3 retailers

Valve's distribution platform Steam was not included on EA's list of digital retailers supporting Battlefield 3.

The list, which included other digital retail sites like Direct2Drive and GamersGate, was first reported by Joystiq, but has since been removed from the Battlefield 3 website.

The ommission follows an apparent breakdown in the relationship between the two companies since the launch of EA's Origin service, during which Valve pulled Crysis 2 from Steam due to EA's approach to post-release content.

Full article here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...ld-3-retailers

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Re: Pre-Launch: EA omits Steam from Retailers

In response, us PC users can just get a CD/DVD at the store instead of buying it via EA's service.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBean
    In response, us PC users can just get a CD/DVD at the store instead of buying it via EA's service.
    steam sucks. i prefer dvd's and cd-keys.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

It would be nice for steam to have it but if not. I can just buy cd/dvd.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Same here Moreno. I like Steam a lot but think that there might be competition on the horizon for them. I think developers especially are saying to themselves why can't we do a 'steam' thing ourselves? But I think they'll fail because unlike Steam they are/will be centric to their own gains and not offer a platform like Steam that treats ALL games equally, even their own titles.

For instance, I can't imagine EA offer titles by Infinity Ward whereas Steam would.

Still I think Steam should do whatever it can to offer BattleField 3 and also Crysis 2, even if it hurts a bit financially in the short term, as it'll stop any notion of people using the other services like Origin.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Def agree with your thoughts. I dont see EA supporting their competition where steam is nuetral.

Well this is an obvious move, Both Crysis 2 and BF-3 are PB supported games, Steam only does VAC, so steam is not capable of supporting either game.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Crysis 2 was on Steam actually up to about a month ago when Crytek released some new content (I think that was the case) which it had an agreement with someone else to distribute it that I guess violated a new Steam policy, thus the conflict (and I could be really off on the details here).

Now that you mention it, I think Crysis 2 is using Valve anticheat... I remember Crysis 1 was using PB but had trouble with 64 bit machines and I guess Crytek is trying Valve this time plus their own measures. Ironic.

rgr GB, good chance I have 1 & 2 Mixed up. I do that at times :P