Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

wisdom w/ age, don't you just hate when that happens?

darn, I really must be getting old because I keep making analogies between totally different things that seem to make sense. Don't you hate that when it happens? It's a sure sign you're getting older.

Let me explain, I'm in the market to buy a new house, yet the neighborhoods around where I live are very mixed, some very nice and hence expensive, and some not so nice but still pretty expensive but certainly not like the good neighborhoods. Well being the architect that I am I started wondering why the heck do some neighborhoods start to flourish and others don't. Looking at the 'bad' neighborhood I can easily see why, torn up and deteriorating buildings, empty lots, scruffy sidewalks and the like. Basically because of the influence of some bad it has, over time, created a lot of bad. That is, when one building starts to fall, the neighbors will more likely try to move away, sell cheap, to get out. That means their building will potentially 'fall' as well... add to the mix gas stations and repair shops, industrial buildings that are not maintained themselves and the snowball starts to roll in the wrong direction.

Now take another neighborhood where someone starts to fix things, ok, not much happens, but then a second person starts to fix things up and what you eventually get is a snow ball heading in the positive direction.

My point is that what buildings represent, good or bad, influence what happens to the neighboring structures and can impact a whole neighborhood.

From a developers point of view one has to find the neighborhood that has enough potential, that is beginning to turn the corner, before making their huge financial investment because after all they're interested in making money, so putting a full renovation or new building in a neighborhood that will not return from the dead is really just throwing that money away. So, if a developer is smart, they look for neighborhoods that have potential in order to protect their investment, which happens when more people join the rehabilitation of that particular hood.

So where's the real wisdom? Is that it?

Nah. Here's the wisdom: If you build a building and use really high quality bricks, you will have a strong building that will last forever (essentially). But if you put into all those really great bricks one, or a few bad bricks, that will crumble due to weight or water, then the other bricks will be affected and eventually crumble too, or at least show the signs of stress. The same goes for buildings that are built. They represent the bricks of a neighborhood. Add good bricks (buildings) and a whole neighborhood can build upon itself to improve. Add enough bad bricks and the neighborhood will crumble.

And here's the kicker of the analogy: We humans get along pretty well, but if an individual is standing around enough 'bad bricks' you can expect them to crumble.

So keep up the fight against cheaters and help swell our numbers. We need more good bricks to really influence the direction of that massive rolling snow ball.

Finally, which are you? A good brick or bad brick? If you can't answer that simple question it's because you don't want to face it and you're living in denial. You do influence those around you whether you wish to acknowledge it or not.

Re: wisdom w/ age, don't you just hate when that happens?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenBean

Nah. Here's the wisdom: If you build a building and use really high quality bricks, you will have a strong building that will last forever (essentially). But if you put into all those really great bricks one, or a few bad bricks, that will crumble due to weight or water, then the other bricks will be affected and eventually crumble too, or at least show the signs of stress. The same goes for buildings that are built. They represent the bricks of a neighborhood. Add good bricks (buildings) and a whole neighborhood can build upon itself to improve. Add enough bad bricks and the neighborhood will crumble.

Finally, which are you? A good brick or bad brick? If you can't answer that simple question it's because you don't want to face it and you're living in denial. You do influence those around you whether you wish to acknowledge it or not.
    stuff like this dont happen in Germany, all bricks there are perfect! Hehe jk, epic post GB.

i would define mysealf as a goodbrick, maybe to good ppl take advantage of me.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Great point GreenBeans, that really sums it up. You can sort of say a server is a neighborhood, and as an administrator not streaming. Their allowing more and more bad bricks, and eventually more bad bricks is going to make the server fall. Where you see servers that keep control and you will see is flourish.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Admins being the mortar keeping all the bricks where they should be... bad mortar and the bricks start to fall out as does their relationships with the other bricks. Nice analogy Moreno and you're right, better to just shut down a server than let it run wild.

and there's no need not to hold one's ground so ppl don't take advantage of you. it's like standing in a rain storm without a rain jacket, which would be foolish. Everyone has to protect themselves from the 'elements' but the problem there is those who cheat think they need to be aggressive towards those who are fighting for fairness for everyone including them. Take for example the PS3 hack on Sony which shut their entire gaming system down for a couple of weeks. Cheaters miss the point.

whew, done with the analogies for now

Thanks guys.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

HA. Great mention the PS3. Now you would think that would open peoples eyes?