Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

TECH QUESTIONS? Post them here...

NEED SOUND HELP
    I need help regarding sound, I'm using Windows XP HEdition on an Intel Mac and just replaced my logic board and it seems to of messed up my sound.

On the Mac side I was able to correct the problem with this post: http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/index.php?topic=164.0

On the PC side I am having trouble recording sound in XFire, I've posted a question regarding this to the XFire forum explaining the problem:
    http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?...topic&t=187306

If you have a solution or suggestions, that'd be great. Basically I think it's a computer setting, not really an XFire problem.

Re: QUESTIONS? Post them here...

Based on what you sent to Xfire, I would like to know something.

"Sounds and Audio Deivces Properties > Audio (tab) > Sound recording Default Device: Plantronics Headset."

Normally when you click on the "volume" button of the recording default device, you're supposed to have a window opening with a few choices (examples: microphone, CD, line). Sometimes it's just because the source is muted.)

If your problem is not related to a muted input, could you plz post a screenshot of this specific window. It could help me to search for you.

(BTW..... I assume also that in your main volume window, none of the output sources is muted.)

Okay, when you open the config panel to access the audio property, do you have an additionnal icon with a name like "Realtek config......" If it's the case, just by clicking on this icon you'll have an instant access to the internal mixer option. In the mix section check for a possible in / out muted source.

I help regularly ppl for problems related to sound and most of the time it's that simple. If you still having problems and if your sound drivers are specific to the card company, it could be a good idea to delete them and use the default Windows sound drivers to make tests.

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Re: QUESTIONS? Post them here...

Sound is not muted... the mic is picking up the sound through the headphones, the sound in the headphones is fine... it's just not recording the sound directly when I press record in xfire.

I am having trouble with:
    Realtek High Definition Audio version 5.1.2600.2180. It was showing a yellow exclamation point on the file, so I tried to update it which it wouldn't, tried to 'roll back' but it wouldn't, so I deleted it thinking I could download another copy, which I can't... seems I need to get it off the installation CD/DVD but I'm not sure which one to get it from, the Windows XP CD or the Apple BootCamp CD.

Also, I'll post an image if you can tell me how to take a screenshot (apple keyboard). I have 'help' 'home' 'page up' and above these keys I have F14, F15, f16. Also, where do the screen shots get stored. Thanks.

I'll check the mute again but I don't think it's the issue... I'll try and post images.
    Now that I deleted the file I get a message when I start up that says,"New Hardware found,The file 'RtkHDSud.sys' on Realtek HD Audio Installation Disk is needed. Type the path to the file" yeah right, I have no idea about any Realtek HD Audio Installation Disk. Like I said I only used 2 disk to get windows working, my apple CD bootcamp and Windows XP.

OK, I found out where the drivers are for the RealTek.... here's what you Mac Users should do:
    1) Put your Mac OS-X Leopard CD in the d:drive.
    2) Go to Start > My Computer > Drive and Right Click to bring up some options, then click on EXPLORE.
    3) This will open the OS-X CD and let you double click on the RealTek Installer.... that's it.

BTW, this didn't solve the XFire sound recording problem, just fixed my missing or damaged RealTek driver.

Servers not showing in the master list

Hey All,

Does anyone for the life of gaming know how to get your server showing in the master list? I have stopped it for 30 mins, still no joy. When it does get people on it comes in waves... Why pay for servers if they dont show up!

Thanks all, hope you can help,

Killian

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Re: Servers not showing in the master list

Are you referring to COD4 ingame browser?

If this is the case, there are, last time I checked, some 11,000 COD4 servers, not all of them show the first time you click on 'refresh'. I think about 2500 show up each time you click on refresh. Hope this helps...

Thanks for the reply mate but mostly the same servers always show up, even if there is no one on, i am thinking there is a tweak you use in the server.cfg file to get your server shown every time.

Hey peeps again, i cant understand i turn pb off, my server show up in the list.. Could the issue be with PB, do i have to pay or something to get higher on the list when PB is on?

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

PB should not be an issue with regards to when your server shows up. You should submit a ticket at www.evenbalance.com and let us know what they say, maybe it's a bug.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Re: TECH QUESTIONS? Post them here...

LOST HARD DRIVE SPACE

Here's a question and answer...

I had a little over 7 GB's of free Hard Drive space on the PC side of my computer (using a MAC with boot camp), so I decided to download a demo of about 3 GB's... no problem right? Wrong.

When the demo files get decompressed apparently they need about 8 GB's for that size download to be able to open. Okay, so what?

Well when I downloaded the demo and it tried to open, nothing happened literally, no files, nothing to remove, no sign of anything except that all my free hard drive space disappeared. So here's how you get it back:

1) Go to START > MY COMPUTER > LOCAL DISK 'C' and right click.
    2) Go to Properties
    3) Go to General and you'll see how much free and used space you have in the pie chart.
    4) Click on the button called DISK CLEANUP.
    5) Select the items you want removed, you'll be able to see how much space each item is, and this is how you recover the space on your Hard Drive.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Here's a question us gamers should know about:

How do I prevent my CD Key from getting hacked (stolen)?

I can't imagine anything more worrisome than thinking your CD key and GUID could be stolen by a hacker who'd use it to cheat, thus smearing your name, or resell it to some unknown person. Can you?

Maybe someone can give us some insight...

Sorry in advance because I know my answer will not be really helpful.

The fact is CD control is something complicated to manage. For example in a case like Microsoft's Windows philosophy, it is one CD key by PC. That means if your PC is broken (or very old) and you want to build a new one, you have to get a new CD key, whatever you ever paid for a CD key for your old PC no more in use.

Game developpers can not do the same with their games because the customers would be very mad. So it is more complicated for them to control the CD keys and prevent CD key hacking.

It's not something new and a lot of ppl use CD keys generator software to get CD keys without paying for them. A CD key generator is like the lottery and you could be unlucky enough to have to deal with someone else having the same CD key than yours.

When you download a game directly from a site, generally they can find easily on a list what CD key they gave you when you bought the game from them.

In case of a "game in a box" you buy in a store, it is not that simple. And what about when you trash your old PC because you get a new one. It's clear noone would like to pay twice for a game just because he is not authorized to move it on a new PC.

Another example is if one day you have no more interest to play a specific game and you delete the game from your PC, would it be fair to have not the right to give the game to someone else?.

If you have a laptop and you travel around the world, the IP location can't be an official proof.

Many developpers are using algorith to generate their CD keys. Actually it's the way they can control if a key is valid or not.

Of course when someone else is playing with your CD key it is far to be fun. That is why you should always keep your official guide or document with the CD key written on it. In case you have serious problem, you can communicate with the developpers.

I know I ever heard about cases where the customers were able to get a new CD key if theirs were stolen. If you got your game in a store, the developper may ask you to send your old one with the document having the CD key written on it before giving you a new one.

Hope it helps a bit.

O3CT

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

That's really great help and hope it helps others that might have the same question.

Never knew myself that someone generating CD keys could actually find a combination that is the same as my own personal CD key. That is scary to think someone could literally steal from you in this way and put you through the hassle of either buying a new key or digging for documentation to prove to a manufacturer that the key is yours and it was stolen. Certainly one more reason why abusive people need to be educated as to who they are actually hurting and why it is abusive... and if they don't care, then they need to be stopped by any legal means possible.

Sorry but I realized I forgot to mention Microsoft philosophy was mostly for Windows not their games. That's why I edited my precedetn post.

BTW, I think it's the same case than Windows with Office users licence (CD key).

The information in my precedent post is the major reason why game developpers can't be too rough when trying to control seriously their products.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

They could go after those who are actually stealing the keys or generating them, to make an example of them, and return us back to where it all should be, that is not a wild west attitude that's going on now.

makes me think that with the emergence of computer technology, it is kind of like a wild west mentality to many people and we are the first to become marshals of it all, at least the gaming corner of it, to try and keep order... but only when manufacturers start pouring money into the problem it will stop growing, and if not, maybe we'll witness real lawlessness like they had with 'bonny and clyde', the mafia, etc. where hackers are doing real damage to corporations and companies... no doubt in my mind that they are impacting the game manufacturers and designers.

i was also thinking that schools really need to take a lead on teaching young people that stealing, even online, is stealing none the less. I know of a now vice principal of a school who used to argue with me that everything on the internet is free, including music... that, if it's posted, it there for the taking and claiming no matter who posted it, as if the laws and common sense of 'real world' doesn't actually apply there. i know others who have taken pencils, erasers and the like from offices they've worked at as if it was okay (and I mean actually stocking the stuff at home... stacks of it)... and even once i was on a flight from japan and the woman who sat next to me stole the silverware. it's all so pathetic and petty, to think they'd jeopardize their own self-worth for a couple of dollars of things they could do without.

there was a comedian on who used the line... "I blame everything on: 'if they could land a man on the moon why can't they make a toaster that works properly' ". With the notion that somehow 'they' is a group of people who are working to make things for 'me' and 'they' should get it right so 'I' don't get frustrated... "oh life is soooo frustrating" so 'I' have to steal, cheat and abuse others to get what I want because I am obviously a baby who has the depth of a potato chip.

There, I said it all....

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Maybe someone can tell me about the differences between 32bit and 64bit, and how I can get my Windows XP Home Edition computer to run 64 bit, if possible?

I have a quad intel 3.0 GHz processors and I believe 4 GB's of memory, seems like I should have the juice to do it, but don't know what it requires.

Thanks for the basic info, from a Mac User...

The purpose is to run a Mapping program called SandBox in optimum performance.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

64 bit is vista, isn't it? any PC users out there?

As far as I know here is no such thing as XP Home 64-bit, there is only XP Pro 64-bit.
    4 GB or more of RAM require a 64-bit operating system, a 64-bit system can be more responsive when running several programs at the same time and switching between them frequently. 32-bit operating systems can only use at most about 3.5 GB of RAM.

When you have lets say 4GB installed in a 32-bit system
    windows is only allowing you to use 3 to 3.5GB.
    This is because Windows is saving .5 GB to 1GB to boot from and run needed background services and system devices.

Also your motherboard and processor have to be able to utilize the amount of ram that is installed. Installing 8GB of ram in a computer that can only use 4GB is just a waste of money.

Seeing you have a a quad processor I'm sure your motherboard is capable of using a good amount of ram but you need to get a new OS. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and other than having to find 64-bit drivers I have had no problems. Even Vista x64 with the latest updates is a good stable OS. There is alot to be said about XP, I've never used XP64 but XP is still an OS worth keeping for those that just don't want to change or have the money to do so.

Keep in mind that just like Windows98 and all previous versions of Windows, Microsoft WILL stop supporting them.

You can use the following program (SIW | System Information for Windows) to find out exactly what is in your computer and a very good idea of what it is capable of. SIW is a standalone utility that does not require installation! Go to Hardware Inventory: Motherboard, Memory Summary, Maximum Capacity to see how much ram it can handle.

http://www.gtopala.com/download/siw.exe

I hope this helps.

I agree with Crushkill.

Vista can be both 32 or 64 bit btw .

[/url]

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Thanks Crushkill, that helped a lot, putting everything in perspective.

I have 4 GB's of RAM. Sounds like XP might not be supported in the future and Vista or Windows 7 is the way to go...

One of the problems I was having with running Sandbox 2 (mapping software from Crytek) was the screen was washing out... but since I've removed the dust from my video card (see other post) the screen looks fine so I might wait until there is a real need for it. Crytek has posted some warning about using 32bit so wanted to learn more about it all.

thanks for the help.

So Vista can be both... is there a reason one would want to keep with 32 bit, or is this a way for Microsoft to accommodate computers with less Ram?

I guess the best way I can answer is that you can buy an upgrade much cheaper than buying a full Version. You cannot change from 32-bit to 64-bit with an upgrade disk. Also you can only install the x64 version of XP Pro, Vista or 7 if you have a 64-bit processor as a 32-bit processor can not run a 64-bit OS. Under CPU info on the first line SIW will tell you if your processor is 64-bit. With what you have I would have to say it is. (Assume nothing always check the facts)

You can usually also check in the device manager under processor properties/details/Hardware Ids.

I saw the video board cleaning tip, I always have a can of compressed air around for my notebook. It helps to keep things clean.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

I know that windows 7 x64 bit can run up to 8 GB now.