Before Building Your Own

A word of advise on building your own computer.

Before diving in and spending the money to buy a case and everything it takes to build your own, including the operating system, look around.

Computers have become reasonably affordable and seem to be cheaper every year.
    With some footwork per-say one can be found as good as you might have built for the same money or less. Not to mention this includes the operating system, restore disks, usually the correct drivers, warranty/tech support etc...

I don't want to say that building your own computer is a bad thing but for the normal user/gamer it may be better to buy off the shelf or in some cases custom.

Also, if you have a subscription to PC Gamer magazine they often arrange special deals for subscribers on computers like Alienware and Voodoo. This at times includes pre-release models at a substantial savings.

For those techy people and ones that just want to have fun creating their own ..... build on!

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Re: Before Building Your Own

Alienware are not good as people think. THEY OVER PRICE.

TRUSTED ASSOCIATE+ !AR!BlackHawk's Avatar
    ARMA-Games

Over priced? I call it bull..

Just buy a alienware case on ebay and put parts in it for 700/800 dollar and you get a better config then their crap. It's called, paying for the brand...
    Another idea... just do as discribed above and afer that sell it again for 3000 dollar as thats what they do, only now YOU are making the profit xD.

And I can tell you, that also happens alot.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=alienware+case

Just one BIG side note: There is a LOT of scam out there selling ALIENWARE parts, you pay -> but they never deliver... just so you know!

My advice: Just build your own, it's alot cheaper and you get more bang for the buck. Now a days you get a fine gaming pc for around 500/600 dollar/euro.

I agree with both of you as far as Alienware and all so called top-name gaming computers go, they are way overpriced.

I do know that makers have had them as much as half the going price for PC Gamer. Paying the full price for a well configured Alienware (5000.00 +/-) would be insane!!!
    That's not getting them from eBay by the way. I would never tell someone to go that route, that would be a crap shoot.

For most people though building there own is not the best thing to do.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

so lets say you bought a basic computer with the intent of upgrading some of the parts (a sort of in-between solution). Would you upgrade the processor, video card, etc. or is this approach a bad option too?

seems like you could buy a basic computer then upgrade the video card, buying it with the best processors you could afford.

I think I'm with you on this topic Crushkill, I don't think I could build a computer myself, but have certainly upgraded some of the components like Harddrive, RAM, etc.

TRUSTED ASSOCIATE+ !AR!BlackHawk's Avatar
    ARMA-Games

Building a PC is something (nearly) everybody is able to do, with just some simple instructions (like a youtube video). It's just a matter of knowing the basics.

Finding the right parts is a diffrent thing, as its a fast market you need to have atleast "some" knowhow about which parts fit to which motherboard. Although there are many websites that show all that.

I've build multiple pc's and if you've done one, then after that it's just a matter of repeating the same process.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

If you buy a basic computer. The parts in it such as the MOBO are not compatible with new and improved hardware these days. Such as e machines are only upgradable with e machine parts. So it is far best to go with building your own from scratch. It may be expensive at first but if you look at it from down the road. Your going to save money by investing it towards top-notch hardware. Because those parts are going to last you 6-months max before it goes obsolete and you have to upgrade again. if you buy top-notch now. You wont have to upgrade for at least 2 years, unless your one of those few that like to just get the latest and greatest when it comes out.

Being that eMachines are made by Gateway and are made with less expensive components to be sold at WalMart, couldn't they be upgraded with the same components that would upgrade a Gateway? Just wondering.
    I have upgraded many computers over the years including an eMachine (cough-cough) with ATI video and Sound Blaster audio, it was so old it would only take 512mb of ram lol. I also installed a 7200rpm Western Digital Scorpio (Black) and 6GB ram upgrabable to 8GB in this 1 year old HP Pavilion dv7-1285dx notebook. I'm disabled due to an assault and have to keep my leg elevated nearly all of the time, as I can't sit at a desk I purchased this notebook for about $1000 and would be hard pressed to build one as capable as this.
    With a noticeable improvement from the hard drive and ram upgrades I am able to play COD4, COD W@W, MW2, BioShock2, Left4Dead2, etc. with all settings maxed out with no problems other than maybe a lower frame rate in some maps.

These can now be found for under $850 for refurbished. I prefer new.

Thanks for the responses to my post, I'm glad it became a topic for discussion.

TRUSTED ASSOCIATE+ FS-Jarhead755's Avatar

Thanks to every one for the posts. Good info for I'm soon to start building mine.

Also for those who build alot, Here is a great web site to help get answers and help with your computer. www.overclock.net/
    <br /><br /><br />

toms hardware is a great site for bench tests and alike & has been around for years now so has loads & i mean loads of test & comparisons so if your thinking of building a rig i would go here http://www.tomshardware.com/index.html

Also going back to upgrade or building your own from scratch i would say if you got a bit of a clue & not completely a technophobe go for it if you buy a Mobo it comes with a manual with step by step install instructions, and you will find as said above you can save big bucks and build a PC dedicated for gaming cheaper than any Dell XPS or AW which are way over hyped IMO and once you build one you will never buy a pc again its easier than you think so my advice is be clear on what you want. Make sure that all parts are compatible (biggest headache imo)and just GO FOR IT

These are my views & not necessarily the views of Hack Hunters

Building your own PC can be a cool adventure but it can also be a nightmare. I mean always check effect on the warranty of the parts if you do the job yourself.

In my area I have a store where I use to send customers and where myself I bought my last PC. Whatever what you put in the PC the cost is parts + 35$ for the labor and you get a full year warranty on everything in the box directly at the store.

Otherwise, I checked in many places around and generally if you build the PC yourself, you have only a 30 days or 90 days warranty on the parts and after that you need to contact the companies.... and plead your case. For example, I've seen personnally and heard about many cases of customers fighting to get their $ back after their CPU died, couple of weeks later they built themselves their own PC.

Most of the time they were blamed for reasons like not having put enough heatsink compound, not installed the CPU fan the right way...

It's a personnal choice. In my case I'm technician and I could build easily my own PC in less than 2 hours but for me the 35$ to have nothing to worry about, get a full year warranty on everything and get 3 years on the CPU is very reasonnable.

Of course when you buy a standard brand name product you have generally a good price but inside you have normally bottom of the line parts. Basic case with possible noisy fan, basic motherboard, slow memory, slow HD with small buffer, basic or onboard g card, minimum available powersupply ...

You get what you pay for and that's it. A CPU XYZ inside don't mean that much if you know nothing about rest of the parts. In my case I prefer to pay more and get better hardware that will last longer and do a faster / better job.

O3CT

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

that's a really great tip. didn't even think of warranty and like you said for the extra $35 bucks to have a year long warranty is worth it... and also the benefits of building it 'yourself' versus a store bought assembly.