View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%

Thread: Wisdom (POLL)

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Wisdom (POLL)

Vote to see the results. You can change your vote, so no worries.

Let us know what you think about wisdom... do people get wiser as they get older and what does that mean for their life and the lives of others around them.

Do you think younger people appreciate the wisdom of others as an opportunity to learn? Or do they think they think they know it all already?

If you were to make a team, would you opt for all young people full of energy, all old people who know how to make it work, or a combination of both? If a combination, what percentages of old vs young would you have?

Do you know that in WWII, experienced American pilots were sent back home to train new pilots, which was unlike the Japanese pilots who flew until the end of the war, or until their death, which ever came first?

Do you appreciate the structure of the armed forces? Sergeants training new recruits? Captains leading larger groups of troops? Can you imagine a new recruit being a Captain leading two thousand troops into battle?

Give it some thought and give them to us in a post

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Re: Wisdom (POLL)

Interesting topic Greenbean

But may I point out that some who supposidly have wisdom, have lead many people in the wrong direction. Let's see if I can name a few: Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, David Koresh, or that other suicidal nut Jim Jones.

Those that gain wisdom in their lives actually have the fundamental tools to know what's right and what's wrong. It's sad that many can be mislead by those who's ego's make them think they are a leader when in reality they do not have those fundamental tools, and, to have the knowledge to use their influence in a wise way so as to not hurt others. BinLaden, always pictured sitting as if he has wisdom, what a joke.

I'm reminded of the movie 'Dances with Wolves' where the Sioux Indian Chief listens to everyone's comments on how to approach their new neighbor and how his decision was a wise one.

Do you think younger people appreciate the wisdom of others as an opportunity to learn? Or do they think they think they know it all already?
    It all depends on the individual, some are eager to learn or benefit from an older persons experiences, others think were old fools that just like to think we know it all.

If you were to make a team, would you opt for all young people full of energy, all old people who know how to make it work, or a combination of both? If a combination, what percentages of old vs young would you have?
    I would have to say 98% to 2% in favor of the young people. There not by any means stronger or smarter but stamina and reaction times could make all the difference between winning and losing. The 2% of us older folks is more than sufficient if the younger folks are wise enough to listen.

Do you appreciate the structure of the armed forces? Sergeants training new recruits? Captains leading larger groups of troops? Can you imagine a new recruit being a Captain leading two thousand troops into battle?
    Being a veteran myself I always had a problem with the fact that the only way you can be an officer is to have a college education. All ranks should start from the bottom up. Just because someone or their family had the funds to put them in college doesn't mean they will know battle tactics. Just because a person has the opportunity to read more books or sit through more lectures, in no way means that they all have better retention ability or can make better decisions than someone less fortunate. I know that all recruits can get a college education in the military but not all people's brains are wired to be book smart, there is much to be said about experience. I'm sorry I keep forgetting that going to college to be an accountant means one will know just the right place to call in an air strike or how to move two thousand troops into battle and back home again.

Let's see if I can name a few: Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, David Koresh, or that other suicidal nut Jim Jones.
    I suppose insanity has at times been viewed as wisdom!

Let me add to my previous post, I have known so many young people that are truly wise, I have also known many older people that are completely lacking in the wisdom department. So let me end my response with this, wisdom does not come with age it comes with experience and what you do with the knowledge you gained from it.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

great response.

I would have to say 98% to 2% in favor of the young people. There not by any means stronger or smarter but stamina and reaction times could make all the difference between winning and losing. The 2% of us older folks is more than sufficient if the younger folks are wise enough to listen.
    depends on what you're trying to accomplish, not everything need muscle or energy. sometimes knowledge will get you from point A to B faster than having 10 people figure something out, or one un-experienced person making mistake after mistake. Certainly a balance has to be met that the one overseeing doesn't have so many to check on that they can't manage it. Reminds me of the typical teacher to student ratios. Can you imagine the nightmare a teacher might have teaching in high school if they had 50 or 100 students per class?

It all depends on the individual, some are eager to learn or benefit from an older persons experiences, others think were old fools that just like to think we know it all.
    my own experience in my younger years was I was willing to listen to anyone and ask myself does that make sense. if it didn't make sense I'd find a better way of doing whatever.

Being a veteran myself I always had a problem with the fact that the only way you can be an officer is to have a college education. All ranks should start from the bottom up. Just because someone or their family had the funds to put them in college doesn't mean they will know battle tactics. Just because a person has the opportunity to read more books or sit through more lectures, in no way means that they all have better retention ability or can make better decisions than someone less fortunate. I know that all recruits can get a college education in the military but not all people's brains are wired to be book smart, there is much to be said about experience. I'm sorry I keep forgetting that going to college to be an accountant means one will know just the right place to call in an air strike or how to move two thousand troops into battle and back home again.
    i agree that everyone should have the 'bottom up' experience. but i also acknowledge that much of what an officer's duties are, are probably very business like with organizational duties, hense, school like. My guess is, to make 100 front line soldiers function, you need 200-300 providing them with support (but this is total guessing).

I totally agree about tactics that truth be told they should test everyone in the core to see who really does have the talent or nac for tactics and send them to west point for training!

I have known so many young people that are truly wise, I have also known many older people that are completely lacking in the wisdom department.
    I have met many here at HH! damned impressed!

wisdom does not come with age it comes with experience and what you do with the knowledge you gained from it.

I bring the topic up, i guess as a reminder that no matter how ridiculous you might witness others act you have to always know in your own core what the true values of life are, and I think wisdom is one of them.

why bring it up now... maybe because of all those reality shows and other really stupid things i witness from others, but then those people also remind us of the consequences of being stupid... embarrassment.

I saw a woman in my neighborhood who was on the TV show BridZilla where brides really act like queen trash (to put it nice) just the night before... she was wearing drab cloths, had black sunglasses on, and her head hung low... but, I'm sure she became wiser for the whole experience.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Like the old saying goes:

In order to be old and wise, you need to be young and dumb first.

So yes. Wisdom and experience comes from doing stupid stuff and making many mistakes. But you need to learn from it in order to become wise. So like your poll says. Some people just can't learn and will stay the same. Such as druggies. They can be like that the rest of their lives. But the few that learn as they move in life are the ones that can pass their wisdom and experience on the the younger generations.

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Quote Originally Posted by Moreno
    Like the old saying goes:

In order to be old and wise, you need to be young and dumb first.

So yes. Wisdom and experience comes from doing stupid stuff and making many mistakes. But you need to learn from it in order to become wise. So like your poll says. Some people just can't learn and will stay the same. Such as druggies. They can be like that the rest of their lives. But the few that learn as they move in life are the ones that can pass their wisdom and experience on the the younger generations.
    Excellent post.

I think most 'druggies' realize their mistake but the prospect of overcoming their addiction is too much for them... it's physical, not just a mental choice.

I love that quote. Makes you think about the whole anti cheat effort and our ability to make change, and perhaps to accept those who have become a bit wiser, which, is impossible to verify, until perhaps the end their life when all can be reviewed.