Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Stop Forum Spammers...

We had a few spammers on our forum, for pharmacy, fitness..., not many but it's certainly something we all keep our eye out for in order to ban them. Recently we had new registered user on the forum and I decided to do a little search on their name using Google. Only because the name seemed suspicious to me as well as their profile. I was surprised to find him/her was listed on a spammer site: http://www.stopforumspam.com/ which was great because I could just ban them immediately before they had a chance to spam our forum.

preemptive strike-success!

If you have any trouble with spammers, you might consider using this to check some of the unusual registrations you get. It looks to be a great site of most known spammers from around the world.

Blog Entries
    AmericasArmy-Games

Re: Stop Forum Spammers...

Awesome work bud! Good to see spammers are getting caught before they are successful!

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

Thanks Moreno,

I just installed a mod that is supposed to work with www.stopforumspam.com automatically, and ban any user name, ip or link that shows up on their ban list. I hope it works.

Yeah same mod i use on my forum great bit of info as it flags up suspect spammers i also find having a captcha for the first 5 post helps this but these days spamming companies pay real people to post on boards Very annoying!.

Another thing you might want to look into is Project Honey Pot it works with SFS and can do a more detailed search on user than stop forum spam does but SFS is always my first port of call on my forum with new members then i run them through Project Honey Pot http://www.projecthoneypot.org/home.php

Hope you can find this of some use here..

all the above things mentioned work with this board and can be found very easily

EDIT

This is a good site for tracking people from IP's http://network-tools.com/

These are my views & not necessarily the views of Hack Hunters

Just came across this site when dealing with a spammer who signed up might be worth while as a tool to keep in the arsenal

http://www.botscout.com/

For SMF (not tried it myself yet) http://www.botscout.com/code.htm code to work on forum

Sample Code
    Listed on this page are some PHP and ASP code samples to help you implement the API in your application (bulletin boards, contact pages, registration forms, etc). If you develop something interesting or useful with it and want to share, please do! We'll be glad to list it here and credit it to you.

If you're looking for information on the API itself, you can find that on the API documentation page.

How Does The BotScout Code Work?
    The BotScout code works by intercepting registration attempts from your forum registration page, contact form, or any other kind of other web form. It then silently makes a call to our database and compares the email, user name, or IP address against our list of bot 'signatures'. If the item matches then the registration is aborted and the bot is stopped. You can also add code that redirects the bot, serves up fake error messages, or anything else you might want to do (such as banning the IP or email address).

The call to the BotScout database is very fast and users normally don't notice any delay when submitting the form. Real users aren't impacted, but bots are stopped in their tracks.

These are my views & not necessarily the views of Hack Hunters

Blog Entries
    FarCry-Games

So lately www.stopforumspam.com is letting some spammers through even though their information is on their site as being a known spammer.

On the other hand I have another forum with SMF 2.0 and no spammers ever get through. That's partly why I'm anxious to upgrade.

Over the last 3 months I check our new members ever other day manually and catch 1 to 3 spammers (that's a lot of spammers trying to get in).

But what is new is this: I see a new member, so go to their profile page and guess what I see, on their profile it says they are BANNED, but in reality they are not because their name shows up in the member list. What's weird is about a month ago I saw some code behind the member's name that was saying something like 'banned_member' written in bbc code or something, I think in order to activate a false ban to fool admins into thinking they've already been banned. What I've done is simply engage a real ban on the member and viola that member name disappears off the member list for good.

So if spamming is an issue, make sure those who you think are banned are actually banned. Good luck