PDA

View Full Version : PBBans DDos Attack thread

|EAS|Kevlar2014
08-18-2009, 10:28 PM
PBBans 2003-2009 Farewell All--It has been a great ride!

I hate to have to report this news, but PBBans has closed its doors.

Over the past few weeks they have been being hit by a DDOS attack on their server. Today they had another attack and the hosting company would not help them overcome the attack. They would have to move to another hosting company to solve the problem which would cost a lot of money, time, and effort.

The time and effort put in by all the staff members at PBBans has been enormous. But a year or so back, they lost one of the two main coders for the website because Evenbalance would not fix a problem with Punkbuster that allowed for bans to be spoofed. This left MaydaX to code the website and keep it running. Him, along with the founder, Rodeobob, now want to get back to their families and lives, so they are closing the doors to PBBans.

It is a very sad day for the whole Anti-Cheat community

R.I.P. PBBANS :(

Viking
08-19-2009, 04:46 AM
It will be missed :'(

!AR!BlackHawk
08-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Sad day for the community

RocknRoll
08-19-2009, 11:46 AM
Sad news indeed.

GreenBean-HH-
08-19-2009, 04:51 PM
wow, very hard to believe indeed.

is it april?

:'(

!AR!BlackHawk
08-19-2009, 07:34 PM
This event shows that the only way to win this battle is to work together. Last years there has been a large lack of cooperation which WILL eventually kill the Anti-Cheat Community as a whole.

There are simply more cheating players then there are legit players and this fact is showing with these kind of attacks, there are more and more cheat communitys willing to "give it a shot". The only way there attacks are effective is if we do not work together.

comments like the following from a pbbans member:

Stream to psb, rep streaming (nothing live) they don't ban for demos & their staff are all ****ing idiots, psb is a business not an anti-cheat community, it's lawyers & legal action should you say the wrong thing.

Show the way the AC Community has been dealing with each other for the last couple of years. We are not rivals, nor enemys but it seems that the ac groups do like to think like that.

As long as this stays this way, we are doomed. We should all ACI as an example. They do it the right way.

I hope this will be a lesson for all of us, as we will all go down, one by one. You can script around a exploit, but you can't script around a DDoS attack.

|EAS|Kevlar2014
08-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Well, big news just came out...

PBBANS is moving to NYC.

They will be back up sometime next week after their servers are shipped from CA to NY and setup accordingly.

!AR!BlackHawk
08-19-2009, 09:28 PM
Alright, so it was just one big PR show? Cool.... not

|EAS|Kevlar2014
08-19-2009, 09:44 PM
I don't think that it was a pr show.

They are going to have to ship their servers across the USA, and pay $150 more per month for hosting. The reason that brought it back is because of all the haters and gloaters that came out of the woodwork after they shut down.

!AR!BlackHawk
08-19-2009, 10:04 PM
I hope its true Kevlar, but I have my doubts. Reason for that beeing is the message that they wanted to spend time with there family. However they suddenly change there minds.

It's very stupid to announce a permanent close down which ofcourse sends out a huge wave of disappointmend and after 24 hours turn around your story again.

Especially if you just say "We are moving to NYC".. Why not say "We have had another thought about it and couldn't stop what we where doing and decided to stay around."

Dont get me wrong, it's good to have them around but these tricks are deadly.

Idk.

!AR!BlackHawk
08-19-2009, 11:29 PM
There is no reason Kevlar to go Private by messaging me on a PM especially with the contents that I find intressting.

]
I will tell you right now that you probably won't be having an account at PBBans when they come back. One of your posts in the inx forums was one that he brought up in discussion that helped to push them over the edge to come back.

Well if thats the case then they can't really stand up to any critics which just shows the face of the organization. Their able to defend themselves if they have a problem with anything written on any forum/website, which I recieved None. Next to that threatening with deactivation is the last thing that a professional organization should do, but hey, I've seen/heard enough strange storys. But I would say, they can do whatever they want as thats their right, it's their service, their ToS.

The only thing that suppirses me is the fact that they seem to take my critics so hard. Did I exedently hit the nail on the head by saying "PR Show"?

Next to that quoting MayDaX
To all the haters at fpsadmin.

It is good too see that from now a days we Anti-Cheat Organizations call each other "Haters". I didn't know that we are all so friendly to each other and , infact
... what have we all been nice, I though the "Closed its door post" even contained the last bash to PunksBusted which I have no idea what reason for, it's all so mature, but it seems that we are all dealing with kids.

I was and still am the last person to "bash" another communtiy, but I do have my opinions. Trying to use the opertunerty to move all bad light up on another is just way of the map.

Anyways, It's a shame how people act these days.

And glad that they are back

Ow ye, and just to show how "HATERS" we are......

!AR!BlackHawk Says:
Hi there Foxdie, I heard some bad news go around the net, just want to know if this news is valid or just a large speculation.

Foxdie says:
valid
have you sent any msg?
my msn sucks
and its causing problems

!AR!BlackHawk Says:
ye was typing to more people at the same time, didnt enter
haha same here
Thats a shame indeed, I might have a chat with someone of my staff who is a server provider, he was thinking about a investment (no idea what hes up to) unsure if there is any intressted, as I would be able to hook you guys up with him
thats what I was typing... took some time hehe

Foxdie says:
ahh
well
I left pbbans 8 months ago
;P

!AR!BlackHawk Says:
I know hehe But you still know enough about the ins and outs. I mean if its really familly related then it's the right thing to do
no game can replace that

Foxdie says:
yes I know

!AR!BlackHawk Says:
Well, if you ever speak to anyone of the staff then pass the message that if there is anything we can help out with then they should just give us a shout. And thanks for the confirmation

Foxdie says:
well
I doubt it
but thanks

!AR!BlackHawk Says:
No thanks, thats just what everybody should offer to a fellow ac group that gots stuck in the water

GreenBean-HH-
08-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Good conversation with Foxie, BlackHawk, thanks for sharing it... I suspect that's how most people feel.

Also, I don't quite agree that in games there are more cheaters than honest players, but I think it can feel that way sometimes, and of course that depends on what game and server you're playing.

anyway, I suspect this is more the case as you put it:

"We have had another thought about it and couldn't stop what we where doing and decided to stay around."

First, I'm sure PBBans is sorting out what they can do, if they have the energy to do it. I'm sure they were in shock for a bit, and having their host refusing to help certainly impacted their decision process, so I say be patient and help them if that's possible, if only to give them the room to work it all out and get back to streaming.

I think everyone here at HH knows just how important PBBans is, so lets all hope things do work out and in a week this'll all be history.

!AR!BlackHawk
08-20-2009, 12:36 AM
That was indeed just a expression ;)

Anyways, let we indeed hope that the move goes smooth so everybody can enjoy the extra security layer that they offer.

GreenBean-HH-
08-20-2009, 01:06 AM
Over the last month PBBans has been hit with a number of DDoS attacks and we have been able to overcome them. On Aug 18, 2009 a massive DDoS attack hit our web server and could not be prevented with the counter-measures we previously employed. Our host will not do anything to block the attacks and even suggested that we turn our servers off.

After this occurred we decided to close our doors. There are many reasons behind this such as a higher cost for hosting, the lack of a new host that can provide the protection we require and finally the toll PBBans has played on our real lives.

After thinking about it overnight and the overwhelming messages from supporters who pleaded us not to close, we have decided to continue. We have found a new host that will provide the protection we require however it comes at a higher cost. Also the cost of shipping our servers is not a small one.

We need your help to keep us to keep PBBans online. Please donate using the button below.

We thank all our supporters for sticking with us and provided some much needed motivation needed to keep PBBans alive.

I've also setup a Twitter account for those that use it http://twitter.com/PBBans

And for the record this is not a "PR show for there donation drive", we were under a massive ddos and now moving datacenters.

More Info:
Temp hosting is online and DNS servers should be updated by morning-PBBans Tweeter

|EAS|Kevlar2014
08-27-2009, 12:41 PM
pbbans is back open!!!!

GreenBean-HH-
08-27-2009, 08:25 PM
great news, thnx kev., i suspect we'd be lost without their service.

nice sig... u can put the HH userbar below if you like ;)

|EAS|Kevlar2014
08-27-2009, 08:46 PM
Ok, I thought it was a pretty cool sig also. Made by one of our other admins in the clan :)

GreenBean-HH-
08-28-2009, 12:02 PM
looks good kev...

this tread has been split from the main PBBans thread to allow that thread to remain informative... thanks everyone for their posts.

Maybe we can find a way to help PBBans with a backup server or something in order to prevent this from happening again. At least to help them with some of the basic services, like having a website, MPI if even 'frozen', Database of banned GUIDs even if no new GUIDs are added, etc.