PDA

View Full Version : Real Identity for Players, in China

GreenBean-HH-
02-25-2009, 09:48 PM
From Play No Evil (http://www.playnoevil.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/2415-NOTED-China-to-fully-deploy-Real-Identity-for-Players-in-Online-Games-by-end-of-March.html) website:

NOTED: China to fully deploy Real Identity for Players in Online Games by end of March
China is adding "real identity authentication" to its controls for online games with deployment to be completed by the end of March of this year (2009).

This follows on with the previously deployed "fatigue system" to reduce the amount of time young people play online (deployment started in 2007? 2005?).

The next phase will include an "inquiry" capability to allow identities to be queried.

Of course, the real question is whether the identity provided is the identity of the person playing... an interesting question and much harder problem.

The General Administration of Press and Publication (GAPP) intends to require online game companies to complete implementation of its real-name authentication system in the first quarter of 2009, reports IT Times quoting China Game Publisher Association, a branch of the Publishers Association of China, Secretary-General Liu Jiehua. NetEase (Nasdaq:NTES) has already integrated the system into all of its officially operating games, said NetEase game department spokesman Liang Xiaohua.

Real-name authentication is the second phase of the three-part online game fatigue system that was released by GAPP in 2007. Liu says the third part, an inquiry system, is already basically connected to the Ministry of Public Security ID verification center. The fatigue system, which dates back in various forms to 2005, intends to limit the amount of time Chinese youth spend playing online games.

"Online Game Real-Name Authentication to Go Full-Scale in Q1", http://www.jlmpacificepoch.com/newsstories?id=140294_0_5_0_M

Psych0
02-26-2009, 03:06 PM
I am really curious how they gonna work this one out...

It's positive, but it's also negative in some way, know what I'm saying ?

!AR!BlackHawk
02-26-2009, 04:57 PM
mixed feelings about this one....... China & Internet = no good.

@Blaze, I have no idea... but I'm sure it has something to do with the Internet Providers being forced to keep a full IP log of each customer so it can be linked to the person.

GreenBean-HH-
02-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Big Brother... that is, it's a communist government. I went to China once, was pretty paranoid at first, then realized no one cared that i was there, in fact it was pretty much like being at home.

Still, you need an ID to drive a car, and should have one as an adult. Considering business is conducted over the internet, it kind of makes sense that people's identities should be identifiable. The only people who really wouldn't want it would be someone up to no good. But perhaps I haven't totally considered the matter.

Psych0
02-26-2009, 06:25 PM
You are both right.

In China, the media is still fully controlled by the government.

I meant here: people won't have any privacy at all anymore...
even here every track, every footstep on the internet is being tracked.