PDA

View Full Version : WW2, the real history-D-Day and Sainte-Mere-Eglise

GreenBean-HH-
07-12-2017, 08:34 PM
With Call of Duty taking us back to WW2, my interest was once again sparked to know if the maps we play on are anything like the real thing.

So I've assembled some real life photos to show in contract to photos taken in June, 1944, in the town of Sainte-Mere-Eglise, France.

Here's a quick history of it if you don't know what happened: http://d-dayrevisited.co.uk/d-day/sainte-mere-eglise.html

It was made famous by the movie, The Longest Day, this trailer has the main part shown: https://youtu.be/3mV87N0R8WQ

There's also some good footage of Sainte-Mere-Eglise: https://youtu.be/Q2rAW0PefZ4

So, to quickly sum up, the maps we play are NOTHING like the real thing. The question is will COD keep their tradition or try to reconstruct events as they actually happened, to give us a realistic virtual experience?

With the internet what it is today, combined with Google Street Views, it is relatively easy to see historical photos in relationship to the real buildings today. That's what I'm going to post in the following... feel free to comment.

GreenBean-HH-
07-12-2017, 08:38 PM
Here's a cool shot, US troops coming from Utah Beach moving through town, going south.

You can see the large hole on the right, it having shoring already in place so this must have been June 7th, a day after the landings, and based on the shadows later in the afternoon.

I will assume the 7th since people are still waving, but it could be a later date.

GreenBean-HH-
07-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Along the same street without the shoring in place, this is probably June 7thish.

GreenBean-HH-
07-12-2017, 08:44 PM
finding a bicycle, or horse, is always a good option...

the other photo shows 3 jeeps on the same road as the first images, looking the opposite direction.
There is a lot of distortion in the B&W.

GreenBean-HH-
07-12-2017, 08:49 PM
There are many more, but 3 others should convince you that most of the buildings that were there on D-Day are still there, with only tiny modifications.

In fact I only saw one small building on the main corner missing from a photo.

These last 3 are were the Germans had their main HQ (I think).

Now I don't know about others, but I would want to play a game that recreated the 'as close as possible' the original locations, scale, distances, buildings, and not a fake, flakey representation. It's like drinking something that tastes like coffee but it's a artificial water instead.

Syntax2112
07-15-2017, 10:50 AM
It's really cool looking photo's like these. Some day ( bucket list ) I want to go to Normandy and walk along the same places they walked and fought.

From what I've watched and read thus far, they are actually trying to keep as close to the actual events as possible.Authenticity is their main goal with the game they say. As close as possible being the key phrase here. But their trying.

None the less it is going to be a wicked game for sure. I cannot wait to play it. I really want this game. WW2 has been a life long running story for me. One of the main reasons I spent 12 years in the US Army.

GreenBean-HH-
07-18-2017, 04:57 PM
I like the subject matter of course, but I don't have much faith that they'll stick to the details as represented in the photos above, but more the theme and story line as they've done in the past, adding the holes to make 'good maps.'

The internet has made it really easy to find details and individual stories of battles during WW2, I've been enjoying that aspect, searching for the locations on Google Maps from historical photos... on Google Maps there are some locations noted in brown dots making it even more enjoyable to know for sure where someone was located on the battlefield.

Syntax2112
07-18-2017, 06:00 PM
Well I hope they do. Players are screaming for a really good WW2 game now. Futuristic war in gaming isn't that interesting alot think. I didn't like it much really.

Frag found another game coming out called ( Hell Let Loose ). Looks really interesting to say the least.

https://www.hellletloose.com/

Frag
07-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Yes the new one coming along looks very interesting. I too have been fond of researching and reading about WWII like many others and have always liked the WWII games over any other type of FPS game. It will be great if they keep things as authentic as possible but I'm not going to hold my breath that the maps will be totally accurate as I have found they make them more around manuverability for the players rather then having all the bits and pieces in the right places. We shall see.

game
08-01-2017, 12:20 AM
Thank you Syntax2112 for the heads up on Hell Let Loose, now included in our Game Board.