PDA

View Full Version : Kids Security

GreenBean-HH-
09-27-2008, 12:16 PM
From Ov3rCasT:

Children security
Mmmmm...... not sure what kind of intro I should use here.

Anyway, Not sure what other ppl will think about that subject and should we do something or not to help to promote children security?

The dilemma is: It could be a good thing to explain the danger of giving too much personal details on the NET but the bad side is in a public forum it could also be used like a "How to" by ppl with bad intentions.

Compared to the ‘80 and beginning of the ‘90, we are now living in a high level of technology society.

Keep in mind day after day, a lot of ppl around the world are working hard to find some new ways / tricks to take advantage of you and / or make easy money on your back.

Day after day we are all told tons of time to : « Never give personal informations about yourself on the net.»

This is just part of the problem and you'll understand better with the next example:

Suppose someone is playing online game with a name like : "Blue_Koala 13"
or having an email like : "Blue_Koala_13@AnyGenericEmailCompany.com".

What could we suppose about that person?
That person likes koala so it’s someone who likes kind of cute animals. The koala is also a quiet animal. That person is a girl or a boy with a soft / quiet personnality.
That person likes the color blue.

Maybe you'll think I’m alarmist but there is some data banks available to associate animals and / or colors with a person profile.

You see, just with a player name or an email address, it’s possible to have a lot of details about a person. If someone send an email to Blue_koala 13@hotmail.com and that person answer, it's very easy for the sender to use an email tracer and have a good idea about the area where that person is living.

All that to say children should think seriously before picking a name and it’s rarely a good idea for them to put their age in a player name or email address.

CYA

GreenBean-HH-
09-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey Ov3rCasT,

I've broken down your message into parts so we can discuss it.

EMAIL POSTED ON PROFILE:
First, I need to check to see if I can control whether someone's email address is shown on their profile. If we know of someone, or suspect someone is under 16, then I think we should make sure their email is turned off.

PART 1:
I think keep the message simple for everyone to read... maybe it is better to send an automatic message after someone registers on our forum that is very short and to the point.

If we post a warning in our forum no one will see it, maybe we can somehow make it more visible someway?

Instead of 'explaining' why we are warning younger people... I think it's better to keep it short and to the point, offer explainations after you've made the warning, like this:

Everyone wants to make friends, this is a fact, but real friends are those you can actually 'see'. Over time you might be able to make acquaintances online, but these are not friends... your friends are those you know in your own neighborhood. An acquaintance is someone you know slightly, but who is not a close friend.

RULES:

NEVER post your EMAIL ADDRESS publically, like in your profile.
NEVER post your AGE as part of your name anywhere, including years like 93 or 2011.
NEVER post your REAL NAME anywhere even if it asks for your real name.
Your User Name should be non-age or name specific... not 'sally11'.
NEVER say what CITY you live in.

These rules apply to everyone, everywhere, including XFire or other sites. Check all profiles you have.

Don't make too many small posts real fast, this tells everyone that you are young. Check your spelling and punctuation... older people know how to write correctly while it can make someone younger stand out if their messages aren't put together properly.

Remember, you don't know who you are talking to online... there is no way to know. Even if someone's name sounds young, or their profile says they're 13, they might be lying. We've had many applications where we discover someone posting several ages on different websites... we don't accept these people, but you have to protect yourself by following the simple rules above. Another example is someone who actually used a voice changer to make their voice sound young. We all follow these rules no matter how old we are, it's a part of what everyone needs to do to protect themselves.

If someone starts asking you too many personal questions, like what movies, games, toys, you like, let us know. This isn't normal conversation. If something doesn't feel right, you're brain is telling you something.[/color]

XFire,
I think we should go to the trouble of looking at our 200+ XFire members and sending them a warning if their name/age is posted in their profile there. And, we can't do this in a group mailing, but one at a time, to keep the fact we are contacting them in the first place private.

GreenBean-HH-
09-27-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm going to contact XFire and request they remove the 'real name'. You can see how they ask for it on my profile: http://www.xfire.com/profile/

GreenBean-HH-
09-27-2008, 01:48 PM
Okay, here's my post at XFire (reposted below). The RULES have been further simplified:
http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=1695091#1695091

I've also posted it in our XFire Forum:
http://www.xfire.com/clans/hackhunters/forums/79367/topic/347313/

XFire HH Guild News announcement:
http://www.xfire.com/clans/hackhunters/

Of course there are the basics (posted below) but one thing really stood out was that on XFire people sometimes post their 'real name' in their profile viewable to absolutely anyone. We have a simple request, could you remove this bit of information altogether?

I think it is a small yet important step in protecting our youth. As a community, we all need to look after each other... thanks for your consideration.

best regards, greenbean

RULES:
_______
Our Guidelines for all users no matter what your age. The goal, have Fun without worry:

PROTECT YOURSELF:
Everyone wants to make friends, this is a fact, but real friends are those you can actually 'see' with your own eyes. Over time you might be able to make acquaintances online, but these are not true friends... your friends are those you know in your own neighborhood, from your school or community.

RULES:

NEVER post your EMAIL ADDRESS publically, like in your profile.
NEVER post your AGE anywhere, including as part of your name, like sally93 or sally2011 or sally12.
NEVER post your REAL NAME anywhere even if it asks for your real name.
NEVER say what CITY you live in.

These rules apply to everyone, everywhere, including XFire or other sites. Check all profiles you have.

Don't make too many small posts real fast, this tells everyone that you are young. Check your spelling and punctuation... older people know how to write correctly while it can make someone younger stand out if their messages aren't put together properly.

Remember, you don't know who you are talking to online... there is no way to know. Even if someone's name sounds young, or their profile says they're 13, they might be lying. We've had a few applications where we discover someone posting several different ages on different websites... we don't accept these people, but you have to protect yourself by following the simple rules above. Another example is someone who actually used a voice changer to make their voice sound young (YouTube video). Us older folk follow these rules out of habit and experience, it's a part of what everyone needs to do to protect themselves.

If something doesn't feel right, you're brain is telling you something. Follow these simple rules, then, put it behind you and go have fun!

GreenBean-HH-
09-30-2008, 12:09 AM
There's quite a debate I've started over at XFire as they actually ask for your real name and many younger ppl happily supply it to be a part of XFire community. Hopefully the discussion will raise people's awareness of the issue.
http://www.xfire.com/xf/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=202031&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Psych0
10-01-2008, 08:28 AM
I have read your first post and will comment soon on this.

cheers.

Psych0
10-03-2008, 04:44 AM
Indeed, you guys are right. Although, because someone puts '90' behind his or her name, that does not always mean he or she is 18 years old.

I agree on the xfire thing. Lots of pple have their real name on there, whereas I only filled in my first name.

Also, I think children younger then 12 shouldn't play any computer games...

GreenBean-HH-
10-03-2008, 10:52 AM
younger than 10 shouldn't be playing first person shooters that are set in 'real world environments'

I've been online where a father will say their 6 year old is on... i personally think this is way too young and the father needs to think of other things to do with their children.

Mine is 7 and she hasn't even see my computer screen when i'm on. We used to play Myst Online when it was active but she kind of got bored with it. there are tons of kid friendly websites, webkinz, bella sara... hmmm, maybe we should make a list for parents.

the last name is truly the key to protecting your identity, that combined with an IP or city and you could easily have someone calling you, showing up on your door step, trying to access personal and financial information. Never post your last name in such public places. There are times when you can and should like when you have a company, when your old enough, etc.... but on XFire i keep seeing kids with their entire name. As the leader of HH, I don't want to see that with our xfire members, I may start asking all ppl under 20 to remove their last names.

Frag
10-08-2008, 04:05 PM
As a new parent myself to a little girl I have to agree GreenBean. I wouldn't want my daughter on when I was playing an FPS game or to play herself until she is much older. I would personally be interested in a list of a few sites that are "kid friendly" as far as games kids can play.

For the security issue I just believe it is very important for parents to monitor the sites their children are going on and to change the settings on their computers so that the kids can't access anything inappropriate. Granted you can't see what kids are doing at their friends houses or school but hopefully if other parents know about your concern then maybe they will do the same thing on their computers and keep our kids protected.

GreenBean-HH-
10-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Hey Frag,

well, as far as other parents go, i've learned that you have to tell the parents what your rules are and then see if they respect them or not. there are so many great things to expose children too that i find it odd when parents go out of their way to show them something that is adult in nature, like fps gaming. I say let the todler be a todler, a child be a child, kid be a kid, etc....

a lot of the most popular children's sites have to do with what you buy for them, the toys these days usually have a website associated with them. if your little one is 4 or more, they'll probably know which sites are out there from what they hear at school. until then you have little to worry about. tbh, each one of those kids sites have tons for them to do.

Frag
10-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Good to know Greenbean. I like your avatar btw and the xfire guild site/forums. Nice setup.

GreenBean-HH-
10-08-2008, 10:13 PM
xfire is pretty cool... it's really our outreach program and gets some thinking of AntiCheat early. i hope it continues to grow, but many quit after a couple of months and i'm not sure why... hope they're not getting harassed or something.

i think there are other halloween avvies available. :)