PDA

View Full Version : Possible trick to prevent impersonators

Ov3rCasT
08-04-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm sure you all know how it's a big problem to deal with impersonators. >:(

Some of them like so much to start trouble and being rude. >:(

It's virtually impossible to prevent ppl to play with your tags on other servers but I'm sure it'll be possible to prevent impersonator to play with your tags on your own server.

I noticed in a lot of cases, even the other members in the game can't be sure if the impersonator is really a member or not.

On some servers, ppl are filtering what players said to prevent the use of dirty words so why not do some kind of "tags filtering" too.

For example, if you have the tags in your name, you have to enter also a password or you'll be kick (and if it's possible to add a counter too, why not autoban the IP after the *** try). I'm sure a solution like this one could be done. (You know just something like having private slots for members. You don't use the private slot you're automatically kick if you have Clan server tags.)

I understand it's a little more work for members but at least, it'll be a very simple tool to prevent problems caused by impersonator. I'm a bit noob about that but I figure it's probably possible to have a desktop icon with the password written somewhere to not have to enter the information all the time.

The way I see things, the more we have tools to prevent problems, the more I'll be available to help wife to do the dishes. ???

:) I feel it could be a good publicity for HH if we could work on (devellop) a few tips / tricks to help Clans. Kind of "HH team solution" / "HH team recommanded tips" /....."

Anyway, it's just suggestion.... ;)

Ov3rCasT
08-04-2008, 01:26 PM
If you want to have the guests happy to play on your server, you have to think like a guest. A guest having big fun will come back to play on your server and maybe become a regular. The only way to keep a server filled is to have guests. The more regular guests you have, the more you'll have ppl who will be interested in joining. Nothing is more frustrating for guests than feeling your server is a paradise for hackers.

And what is more frustrating for Clan members in the game (and of course all the guests) to see they have 2 or 3 evident hackers in the game but they can do nothing because they have not rcon and they are unable to contact admins because noone is on Vent or TS.

But it's not all. In many occasions, impersonators try to fool new recruits. You know, with the small tags or Rct in the name, new members are easy to be identified by troublemakers like hackers and impersonators.

Generally, you can be sure someone having any kind of recruit tags as probably less than a month of experience in that specific Clan. You'll be surprised how new recruits can be vulnerable. Sadly, I've seen myself cases like a fake admin warning a recruit to stop hacking or he'll be banned. Imagine the recruit playing clean and thinking a real admin. is rude with him. It reminds me another case where a fake admin was trying to convince a recruit, Clan members were authorized to hack on their server. Imagine the bad publicity when you have also guests who think it's true.

I don't know why but seems problems with impersonators are more frequent than the past.

:'( Why we have to deal with so many ppl having no respect for the rest of the world?

GreenBean-HH-
08-04-2008, 01:48 PM
very good idea.

we need coders!

bmlbytes
09-13-2008, 01:13 AM
I believe there is a punkbuster command you can add your your config file to keep impersonating tags out. Only thing is, the whole clan needs to know the password.

Spanky
09-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Roll up, roll up. Here is your solution.

You must edit your pbsv.cfg
You can find this in the 'pb' folder in your FTP.

Here is an example of a name lock with a fake GUID.
Namelocks basically attire a NAME to a GUID.
If someone connects with that EXACT locked name, or renames to it, and their GUID does not match the one the name is locked to in your pbsv.cfg
They will be auto-kicked.

pb_sv_namelock 56756768121234444444456789876543 *|ECA:-Spanky
pb_sv_namelock 56756768121234444444456789876543 ^7*|^4E^7C^4A^7:-S^4panky

;)

Bear in mind, you'd have to make several name locks for each Clan Member/Tag if you wanted to name lock the name WITH the colour codes, and the name WITHOUT colour codes.

Hope this helps. You might also want to have an auto messege giving people a link to your Clan site, so they can view the Roster. You wont need to name lock the tag, because people will be able to view the Roster to see who's in your Clan. 8)

Spanky
09-13-2008, 09:49 AM
When fakers are kicked, they will show in your Server logs.
You can then view the Server logs in Notepad etc.

Hold Ctrl+F

Then search for 'Locked'. Remember to select search Up, and down.

You should find something looking like this in your logs (I've replaced IPs and GUIDs):

[09.12.2008 14:20:15] Locked Player Name Detected with Non-Matching GUID (slot# 1) 12345678912345678933123456789822 *|ECA:-Spitty
[09.12.2008 14:20:15] Kick Command Issued ('*|ECA:-Spitty' locked by PB Admin on this Server) for (slot#1) 12.3.456.789:54321 12345678912345678933123456789822 *|ECA:-Spitty
[09.12.2008 14:20:15] Lost Connection (slot #1) 12.3.456.789:54321 12345678912345678933123456789822(-) *|ECA:-Spitty

That's me (*|ECA:-Spanky) renaming to another Clan Members name (*|ECA:-Spitty) and the GUID didn't match the GUID of the namelock, so I was kicked.

Here's what I saw: http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s27/RRHM/namelock.jpg

Remember. The logs will show the name used, that was locked.
Ban only the GUID in the log (if you feel to), don't ban the name.

Ov3rCasT
09-29-2008, 12:44 PM
:o Spanky after reading your post I'm surprised because it seems it's not so complicated to do something to prevent problems with impersonators.

Personnaly I'm not familiar with this subject so is it something that can be done the way you explained even with old games like MOHAA?

You know I was wondering....... If it's that simple maybe it would be cool to have something official with more details and some images.

Kind of "Spanky from HackHunters CookBook" with the best ways to do the work depending the game. Could be something in the "How to" section or something similar.

This would be a good publicity and another good way to increase the traffic here because we could invite Clans admins to visit us to learn how to prevent problems with hackers.

In the meantime..... Good job Spanky and thx for the precious infos. ;)

GreenBean-HH-
09-29-2008, 01:51 PM
A cookbook for Admins... that's a great idea.

I like Spanky's posts too... good stuff... having a tutorial w/ pictures, step by step would be great, including what games this works for.

What games does this work for Spanky?

it could be called:
What every Admin needs to know-cookbook.

RoadWarrior
11-02-2008, 02:41 AM
http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=registry.php

evenbalance also has a further feature, in the link above. You can protect tags(for your clan) and names, as well, associated with your pbguid. Cheap, too.

Sneaky
03-28-2009, 12:41 PM
FOr those of you that want to know what is PBs definition to the command Spanky talked about here they are

PB_SV_NameLock [GUID or partial match] [Name to Lock]
Causes the PunkBuster Server to kick players wearing a locked name unless the player's GUID contains the specified GUID or partial match associated with a locked name; NameLocks are not stored to disk automatically so Admins should add these to the pbsvuser.cfg file in order to have NameLocks extend to future server sessions

PB_SV_NameLockEmpty
Empties the list of NameLocks in memory

PB_SV_NameLockList
Displays the list of NameLocks to the server console

This is where it is from. http://www.punkbuster.com/publications/cod4-ad/index.htm I know it says that its the cod4 edition but they are the same commands for all the PB games.

Tinga
04-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Wow, I didn't even know you could do that. We often get people on our servers wearing [MIA] tags. There are 2 other clans out there =MIA= and {MIA} that are legit clans. We have it set up to where if you are MIA and playing on our servers it's required to be in TS. Even if you don't have a mic. It's kinda a running rollcall thing.

All recruits that have approved application must post their application in the forums telling the clan " I've been accepted as a recruit"

If we have someone on that's sporting the tags and not in TS, we'll try Ingame voice, then typing in game. After that if we don't get a response, we'll kick them. If they are legit, usually the kick will go "Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be in TS" If not, we'll get their GUID and put in a ban to the Security Department

.-(AUST)-.{Inferno}
04-05-2009, 10:27 AM
Lol thats hella difficult...
We at AUST do the same with the "regname partial" as posted above but the problem is it works on every other server except! ours. BAM! Why? Cuz we need one server to register on... :D

Tinga
04-05-2009, 09:29 PM
LOL yeah, it is a bit of work. But we have multiple departments
Security, Recruiting (in charge of new recruits), Advertising, the Council, Game Admins, Server Admins, Map Modding, BF2, EVE. It's alot of work, but it works fairly well since MOST of our members know each other. Sides, if you are unregistered in our TS channel, you can't go past the first channel and someone with in seconds comes and says hi and You need something.

We're open to other ideas LOL

Sneaky
04-20-2009, 03:47 PM
@Tinga

I love the set up. This way all the crap that needs to be out there or should be public info is right there.

ladyCAZ
08-10-2009, 01:28 AM
W*O*W....this is GREAT and I can't wait to try it out. :-*

Could you tell me where in the pbsv.cfg this info should be placed?

Thank you so much!

Sneaky
08-14-2009, 01:05 AM
W*O*W....this is GREAT and I can't wait to try it out. :-*

Could you tell me where in the pbsv.cfg this info should be placed?

Thank you so much!

All PB files are located in a folder named "pb" in each game that pb comes with. In that, theres multiple files.

Moreno
10-05-2009, 10:38 PM
It is a great ideal. Keep up the good work. Even balance has had the TAG protection out for awhile too. Just need to register the tags.