PDA

View Full Version : Opinion's Needed

wOOdy-HH-
07-06-2011, 03:05 PM
This band is located up north of me in Indy and a friend has now started managing this group and has them under contract, they seem like a solid bunch of guys and I think they sound great.
I am thinking of investing some money in them we are talking about allot of money and would like your opinion on them please watch the below videos and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/7VXa7A8GAYU

http://www.youtube.com/embed/nDm_BZjC1mM

Thanks
wOOdy

wOOdy-HH-
07-06-2011, 03:05 PM
This band is located up north of me in Indy and a friend has now started managing this group and has them under contract, they seem like a solid bunch of guys and I think they sound great.
I am thinking of investing some money in them we are talking about allot of money and would like your opinion on them please watch the below videos and let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/7VXa7A8GAYU

http://www.youtube.com/embed/nDm_BZjC1mM

Thanks
wOOdy

AsicsKoki
07-07-2011, 05:14 AM
not bad! but vocals suck, imo.

Ov3rCasT
07-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Hi wOOdy,

To be honest with you it's a very good question. :)

Based on experience, these guys have a very good potential and are doing a good job on stage. (In the video my feeling was their lead singer has a voice similar than Nickelback's one.)

(The only - for the moment is I'm not convinced they have the look / style to have a high ratio of women in the audience and it could make a difference. That's why their musics will need to be veeeeery good. Hard to based my opinion only on two videos. The music in the first one was more commercial but not the second one.)

Like I use to say, with all the groups on the market now fighting to be popular and have a place under the spotlights, the difference between success and staying in the dark is not just the musical talent.

(25% talent + 25% good musics + 25% publicity + 25% having powerful contacts + 25% luck) ??? 125%...

The important thing to keep in mind if you put $ in a project like that one is to know the first years are critical. The road to success can be real fast like 2 years or a lot more longer like 5 years. A long term contract could be a must. I mean the first years you have to pay pay pay.

For example, if you have a 3 years contracts and they start making big $ only in five years or more, you'll never see profits. The problem is when groups with big potential become popular, important producers are often waiting not so far like sharks.

(Or at least if you have only a short term contract, be sure you have a part inside about getting back $ if they become popular and make $ in the next 5 years. Another possibility is to have in the contract a % on all the $ they will make for the next 10 years.)

To start a group the right way and make a lot of publicity it can take easily 50K or more. Business is business and if they have an opportunity to make big $ they will probably go for a contract with a powerful producer.

BTW, I helped often ppl finding ways to make great things to get publicity for free or without putting a lot of $ just by doing stuff for good cause. Example, organizing a show for collecting $ for a good cause. It's generally a good way to get free publicity on radio / TV.

Conclusion... I think I would say yes but I would say you have to stay around all the time and be sure you have a serious contract to protect your investment whatever what happen. Not a project you'll put the $ the first years and as soon as the group will be popular someone else will collect the profits. A good example about what I'm talking about is : "What will happen or what's next if the band splited up." Do you lost everything? It's one of the danger when a group don't make $ fast. It's one of the danger when they on't make enough $ in the first years to survive.

Hope it helps a bit and good luck! ;)

GreenBean-HH-
07-07-2011, 12:26 PM
looks like they have their act together completely, sounds great including the vocals imo.

I"m guessing that all the songs on their YT channel are theirs, so that's great and all the songs sound great too.

Are they tapping into what's happening today, Iraq, etc.? which is partly where this type of music connects well. I'd say nice find and lucky you have the friend that's connect... just write solid contracts and remember that you can easily loose a friend over a business relationship.