PDA

View Full Version : Medal of Honor - 2010, Good or Not?

GreenBean-HH-
04-19-2011, 01:52 PM
First I'd like to say MOH is a professionally done game and should be considered in the A class of games, but in my opinion it only takes a few subtle things that can determine if a game is successful or not, and I think this game might of hit a few of those things...

SINGLE PLAYER GAME:

MOH proves to me that having a quality single player mode is an important factor in making a successful game, which I believe MOH is on the fence atm. I think there are a couple of fundamental problems with the single player campaign:

1) there is no transition into scenes, but instead you are almost immediately put into a situation where you have to fight. No absorbing the atmosphere, no building up the suspense, no travel time, no down time, no developing the characters and the overall picture. If any game could of created a great first person experience of traveling into afghanistan, this game could of, but instead we are tossed into a truck immediately and into the action. What's missing? Why not fly into afghanistan (from the US) and land on an air base, or some other means of infiltration that is explained in the game. This 'entrance' would of built up the suspense with an air of the unknown. We might of also met the commander which plays a somewhat supporting role by ignoring 'Washington's' commands towards the end of the game.

I'm reminded of COD2, where you're in a vehicle traveling towards Tobrouk, setting up a scene IS important.

2) By not having a fully flushed out single player, the gamer is wondering about the quality of the multiplayer and the whole experience. Maybe some gamers skip the SP, but for a core fan, it's an important ingredient and will help support the usefulness of the game into the future. Without it, the core gamer will go elsewhere leaving the game title floundering.

3) The use of icons over squad mates heads and on game goals. There's nothing that will ruin the immersive game experience faster than having to stare at those icons. So what to do, after all one can get lost pretty easy. Just have a 'hud key' which will flash the relevant info on the screen. In fact MOH does this, but only for ammo and weapons. They really should of done it for everything to help pull you into the atmosphere and experience more. I think this aspect is what ruined Bother's in Arms: Hell's Highway. Serious core gamers want emersion, not a kids arcade.

4) Stop controlling the gamer. I found it a bit frustrating to be riding in a pickup truck only to have the developer force me to look in certain directions. If the SP was good enough I certainly would play it over and over and thus eventually see everything anyway, so stop making every transition a 'controlled' cut scene. Instead, let the gamer look around. Certainly this will make the gamer feel engaged with the game and less likely to skip the scene.

5) Do away with all cut scenes, but have transitions like I mention above where the gamer can still look around and even move around. Let the gamer control themselves even if you have some important story line to deliver... Half-Life series did it, you can too!

6) I've mentioned slower action in between the main events, but really I would like to really stress this. Have long periods of 'waiting in a hanger', doing this or that like running errands, or something that's totally different than just going into combat... it might seem boring, but because we are talking about making an immersive experience, it can really enhance that experience and not cost that much extra in time and energy.

7) Sandbox, or something in between. I really hate running through a rats maze as it's very easy to get disorientated. I hope that while games like this might not become fully open, that they follow the simple rule of allowing at least 3 paths to accomplish one's goal, instead of just one path. Certainly for replay value 3 paths offers more variety.

Conclusion: I just think that MOH wanted to create a 'really really exciting experience' and forgot the basics of Art, that there is contrast, juxtaposition and balance that makes things great. As an example, all great movies are also great stories, and they're told in a certain way in order to engage those who are deciding whether they want to see the movie again, and tell all their friends about it, or not. It's disappointing that such a high quality game can deliver pretty much everything, but not all that it could... and it is a high quality game. The scenes are spectacular, the people models and lighting fully developed and even the linear story telling is pretty much in place.

MULTI PLAYER GAME:

Hmm, still out on this one as I haven't played it enough, but tbh, I'm already a little tired of the maps as again, they are too small and a bit too predictable, and create that 'fasted paced action' that they wanted, but that also is part of the bunny hoping culture.

1) Guns that don't sway. Very odd to me that you can aim at a another gamer that's 100+ yards away and your gun will stay on target, which makes playing multiplayer hard, forcing everyone to always hide behind cover.

2) Game types are good, but the maps for these game types are too small compared to Dice's other game BFBC2. On BFBC2 there's an opportunity to out flank your opponent, but in MOH there are only tight choke points the team has to force themselves through, imo.

Personally I just die too quick, but have already within a day been on the top of the score board, so am wondering if I'm not liking it what are the other gamers feeling like. So for me, it's quick spawn and quick death, and over again, and again. Not really my cup of tea. It also reminds me of COD4 but there the maps were great and the action was way more fun... it reminds me of COD4 because of what I'm beginning to miss from that game, as this one doesn't seem to deliver.

Would I buy it again?
I wish they would finish the single player, and make a few modifications that I suggest, to make this game more epic and true to the spirit they were wishing to achieve. But I had way more fun playing Left 4 Dead 2, especially as a 'spitter' in multiplayer... now that was fun.

Seriously, I wish they'd finish the single player.