PDA

View Full Version : Japan Earthquake March 2011

GreenBean-HH-
03-16-2011, 04:30 PM
I'm sure everyone knows about the devistation in Japan. 9.0 Magnitude is the largest I've ever heard of, and a 10 Meter high (over 30 feet) Tsunami certainly didn't help. Now of course they're dealing with the Nuclear Plant.

Find a red cross if you desire, I think they could use everyone's help.

Exerpt from a friend living in Japan...

As you have seen in the news reports, a Magnitude 9.0 earthquake hit the Tohoku region, the north area of Japan, in the afternoon of March 11th, and a greater than 10m high tsunami swept in to the coast area of the Tohoku region 15 minutes later. The Japanese government has been striving to avoid the situation getting worse, and the people in Japan are holding strong, hoping that the situation will improve.

We are facing a very difficult situation at the moment. The strong tsunami waved in to several towns and villages around the coast area of the Tohoku region, completely wiping out a number of homes, destroying people’s precious lives. The latest news says that the number of losses and people missing is expected to exceed 10,000. In addition, one of the nuclear power plants in the area of Fukushima was also affected. Despite the prominent Japanese seismic technology which is highly regarded around the world, the result was, sadly, that the tsunami overpowered its capability. Tokyo Electric Power Company together with the Japanese government has been making tremendous efforts to resolve the problem, and we are hoping with a strong faith that we will see a positive development soon.

Right now, we are also facing the shortage of electricity around the Greater Tokyo area, and as a consequence, to save power, the operation of public transportation services has been decreased, and the citizens are cooperating for the scheduled power shutdown to reduce the use of their household electricity. All over Japan, we are doing our best for the recovery of the affected areas, and I kindly ask for your support and understanding.

Luckily, the damages in Tokyo were very limited, and we are leading our normal lives after the earthquake, so I can assure you that you do not have to worry too much. However, there are a number of elderly citizens in the affected areas in Tohoku, who have lost their homes and are forced to live in the emergency shelters. Until the full recovery, a great amount of money, time and labor will be required. If you are considering about donating some money, I would highly appreciate it if you could do so via the Japan Red Cross

Chrissy-HH-
03-17-2011, 12:18 PM
There has been alot of news coverage the last few days on the devistation in Japan, very sad.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article3473226.ece

Moreno
03-17-2011, 06:41 PM
It really blows to hear about other countrys devastations.

GreenBean-HH-
03-17-2011, 08:19 PM
great link Chrissy, thanks.

It does blow. Most people don't want to hear about yet another disaster because it's 'negative, not fun, bummer, etc.' and we people need positive attitudes. It's life, both things, dealing with the bad yet keeping our chins up to cope with the every day.

The other aspect is, not much we can do about it.

Moreno
03-17-2011, 11:56 PM
That is definitely true, always need to keep your head held high, and keep moving forward. Theirs always going to be bad things happening.

Chrissy-HH-
03-18-2011, 05:18 AM
So very true Greenbean, Moreno...

GreenBean-HH-
03-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Just heard this today about an American young woman who was working in Japan teaching pre-k kids (4 and 5 years old) how to speak English. She of course returned home, safe and sound, but got a call a day or two later from one of the parents of the kids she was teaching who wanted her to take care of their two children, ages 3 and 5 for awhile. She said yes, so the kids are on their way to Ohio.

Wow, now that's helping!

AsicsKoki
03-19-2011, 08:32 AM
i would to that i swear!!

japan mentality is a strange one, but one i respect. a serbian diplomat from japan sayd: they know how to put themsealfs in certan sitations, they have a plan, first help the survivors, than assas the demage than repair infrastructure and than mourn(or however it is spelld) the dead.

this plan is what will bring them back fast. it is amazing to think how a countrye that got nuked in ww2 lived many years under ocupation menaged to be no.3 bigest economy in the world, they will recover and after they do they will be proud to say they are japanese. no other state in the world is as organised and strong(mentaly not military) as japan.