PDA

View Full Version : Sony sues PlayStation 3 hackers

GreenBean-HH-
01-12-2011, 04:58 PM
This article is from here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-01-12-sony-sues-playstation-3-hackers

http://www.gamesindustry.biz is a great source for inside information about all things related to the gaming industry. Register to get full access.

Sony Computer Entertainment America is suing notorious hacker George Hotz and more than 100 others, including members of fail0verflow, for publishing root key details and cracks for the PlayStation 3.

Last year Hotz published an exploit for the PlayStation 3, but it wasn't until this year that hackers fail0verflow released information on how to completely circumvent security measures for the system, leaving it wide open to exploitation.

The hardware manufacturer alleges the defendants "circumvented effective technological protection measures" for the PlayStation 3 and other copyrighted works, and "trafficked in circumvention technology, products, services, methods, codes, software tools, devices, including but not limited to the Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm Keys, encryption and/or decryption keys, dePKG firmware decrypter program, Signing Tools, 3.55 Firmware Jailbreak, and/or any other technologies that enable unauthorized access to and/or copying of PS3 Systems and other copyrighted works."

Sony alleges the defendants have violated the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, the Copyright Act and related state and common laws covered by the California Comprehensive Computer Data Access and Fraud Act, according to legal filings published by Hotz.

Sony is seeking a Temporary Restraining Order against Hotz, along with an Order to Show Cause and Order of Impoundment claiming "it will suffer irreparable harm unless Defendant Hotz's violations are enjoined."

The restraining order would stop Hotz from trafficking any circumvention technology or providing any links to websites offering circumvention technology, and from accessing the PlayStation 3 system in order to obtain code or information, or publishing any code or instructions or assisting others to do so.

The impoundment order gives Hotz 10 days to deliver any hardware or software to Sony's legal team which store circumvention technology.

At the time of writing details of the PS3 Jailbreak and a video from Hotz were still available freely online.

Fire@enemy
01-12-2011, 05:00 PM
lol that is so cool! Bout time someone does something.

Do you think it will make it anywhere though?

Shifty
01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Yeah, i normally download games but if i wanna play a game online i am gonna buy it at the shop just like evrybody else does. I mean There have been so many Game programmers and grafic designers who worked on it. and i dont think its fair to download it. So i also agree with Sony about this one. Ithey didnt protected things for nothing...

AsicsKoki
01-13-2011, 05:57 AM
no point in buying singleplayer games imo. you finish it once, twice and never play it again. i dont even download these games, multyplay is the law.

GreenBean-HH-
01-13-2011, 12:44 PM
multiplayer definitely extends the life of a game exponentially.

single player alone can be fun for the story but certainly trying to get more fun out of an already played experience has limits, it's like watching a movie over and over. SP's should be priced at about $15 dollars.

still, if you're not willing to accept the terms of who ever created it, like their price, then don't buy it. Eventually, hopefully they'll get that they have to price single player games appropriately. And for anyone who develops a game without multiplayer is just nuts, or at best an amateur and thus you have to question the quality of game.

Multiplayer has been around since the launch of 3D environment games:
Marathon Infinity Multiplayer gameplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km7YgFZoT3I#)

ahhhhhh!

;D

AsicsKoki
01-13-2011, 03:11 PM
storyline can still be fun, just make it multy. kane&linch, c&c4, world in conflict... i cant wait for a coop cod, to bad mw2 wasnt coop i think it had the best plot in a video game EVER. Allso kotor should rethurn with coop i personaly didnt like the ending, many many things left unsayd(KoTOR=knights of the old republic there are 2 parts, some call it the best rpg ever i can aprove that, if you are in to serious storylines with (VERY) long gamehours you must try it).

p.s. THE GAME IN THE VID IS AWESOME, MUST TRY IT!

GreenBean-HH-
06-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-06-13-nintendo-and-epic-suffer-hacking-attacks

Nintendo and Epic suffer hacking attacks

The websites of both Nintendo and Epic Games have come under hacking attacks, causing them to issue warnings to registered users about password protection.

A warning remains on Nintendo's website, which underwent phishing attacks last week, reassuring customers that no financial information was compromised in the process. Parts of the website remain closed until the company feels that security has been re-established.

"We have learnt of a possible phishing threat to users of the European Nintendo website which we are currently investigating," reads a warning on Nintendo's UK site.

"The protection of our customers is our utmost priority and so we have taken the precaution of immediately shutting down some parts of this website until further notice. We would like to reassure you that we do not hold our customer's bank, credit card or address details on the European Nintendo website and so this data is not at risk.

"Phishing is when someone attempts to find out your personal information, such as usernames and passwords, by pretending to be a trustworthy person or company in an electronic communication such as an email or via a website.

"We apologise for any inconvenience this has caused. Please do get in touch with your local Nintendo Customer Services if you have any further concerns."

Epic's breach concerned the company's main website and forums, but the Unreal Engine developer doesn't hold any financial information on its customers. Nonetheless, an email was distributed to users warning them to change their passwords.

"Our Epic Games web sites and forums were recently hacked," read the mail. "After some downtime, they're back up and running now.

"The hackers may have obtained the email addresses and encrypted passwords of forum users. Plaintext passwords weren't revealed, but it's possible that those passwords could be obtained by a brute-force attack on the encrypted passwords. Therefore, we have reset all passwords. Your new password at the bottom of this message.

"The Unreal Developer Network (UDN) hasn't been compromised. Thankfully, none of our web sites ask for, or store, credit card information or other financial data.

"We're sorry for the inconvenience, and appreciate everyone's patience as we wrestle our servers back under control."

The attacks are the latest in a series of hacking attempts which seem to stem from the large scale assault which took Sony's PlayStation Network offline for six weeks prior to E3. Uk publisher Codemasters also had data stolen by hackers at the end of May, warning customers last week that "customer names and addresses, email addresses, telephone numbers, encrypted passwords and order history," had all been compromised.

These hackers still don't get that they will drive up prices for everyone. They don't get it because they're sociopaths. A sociopath is a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.