PDA

View Full Version : OnLiVe gaming service

GreenBean-HH-
09-27-2010, 02:17 PM
You may of seen or heard of it before... it's a service that allows you to play high end games even if you have a low end computer, essentially if you can't afford a more powerful computer you can use their service to play video games.

Well, it's a good concept except for one little issue, I don't think they have a way to block content based on game ratings system (ESRB). Think about it... a game rated Mature, like Mafia 2, being shown next to a game like 'Goo'. That means your little kid of 7 just might want to check out Mafia 2 and you hear in the background words like 'f*ck you' coming from the computer or watch as some guy gets his throat cut. Yikes!

So I sent them an email and maybe there's a way they've enabled to block inappropriate content from younger gamers.

I was wondering about game ratings regarding 2 scenarios.

1) If i sign up my child as an OnLive user with her own independent account, given her age, will she be able to see Brag Clips or play a demo of a game she isn't old enough to see?

2) If I use my existing adult account, is there a way to block more mature games if I were to let her play, say lego, games? That is, click a button or something in my preferences perhaps, that blocks all older content until I reset it... basically I'm worried that if I let her try OnLive that she'll have access to content I do not want her to see.

thanks.

awaiting response.

See Updated post in ORANGE

jimbouk1977
09-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Yeah Onlive is good in theory & i don't have any kids to worry about but that is a very valid point GB !.

Also cant wait to try this services out over here in the UK im signed up to them but not clear on whether we can use it over here yet I know the Beta was just US-based.

Keep us posted if you get a responce ;)

GreenBean-HH-
09-28-2010, 10:28 AM
Thank you for contacting OnLive Customer Service! Unfortunately we do not have a way of filtering content on our service at this time. We do understand your concerns though. Please know that we will take your inquiries seriously when looking for ways to improve our service. With that said, I will pass your concerns along to the proper department to make sure that it's seen.

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact me again.

Best regards,
Zoe
Customer Service Representative
http://www.OnLive.com

jimbouk1977
09-28-2010, 05:29 PM
wow you would think that they could make it age restricted & have every user have to sign in & depending on age it will only show certain things

GreenBean-HH-
09-28-2010, 06:09 PM
they don't want to block the few games they have... that would mean someone under 12 would see maybe only 3 games, AND, for that matter, they would probably like to show everyone every game so that they would want to purchase as many games as possible.

you're right tho should be an easy thing to implement.

jimbouk1977
09-28-2010, 09:56 PM
How many games do they have ? when i first heard about it they said they had loads of top names onboard has that changed or was it wishful thinking on their part ?.

GreenBean-HH-
09-29-2010, 05:31 PM
They have 28. A few are sport related, racing, kids/puzzle, and some shooter/horror.

mostly console games and mostly in 3rd person view.

They don't have BF series, COD series, Crysis Series, Far Cry, etc... so you can imagine that while they are 'big' games, in our book they're basically not the kind of stuff we ( i ) enjoy.

jimbouk1977
09-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Not as many as they were bosting before the beta tehn !. shame

GreenBean-HH-
09-19-2011, 10:49 PM
UPDATE:

Parental Controls
OnLive Parental Controls put you in charge of your child's OnLive activity. You can set up Parental Controls on your existing OnLive Account or create a separate OnLive Account for your child using an alternate email address that only you, and not your child, have access to. Anyone accessing the OnLive Game Service with this account will have restrictions applied. Access to billing and purchasing is restricted when Parental Controls are set.

PLEASE NOTE: Even with Parental Controls set, the OnLive Game Service is not appropriate for children under 13.

Features

Content Control
Allow access to games based on game rating or choose specific games for your child to play.

Update Anytime
Manage account settings whenever you like, from any web-connected device.

Privacy and Safety Settings
Allow or block community features such as friending, chat, messaging, multiplayer access and social media integration.

Change Alerts
Receive email notifications whenever settings are changed.

https://www.onlive.com/account/parental

Looks like they're taking care of business by implementing the above. Great news for parents that don't have much money but want to give their child at least access to a few free demo's, or perhaps a purchase or 2.

I also understand that OnLive is good on the Mac, PC and even your TV. Pretty nice considering it is streaming content.