PDA

View Full Version : what should i use?

Fire@enemy
08-29-2010, 12:29 PM
Alright well i am finally going to get my aa tactical site up and running within the next 2 weeks.

My problem is i can't decide what CMS/Forum DB i should use.

I am debating between SMF, and Nuke, or something else if you can tell me.

Let me know your opinion is. cuz i cant figure it out to save my life. lol

Moreno
08-29-2010, 03:54 PM
nuke is unsecure.

Fire@enemy
08-29-2010, 03:57 PM
nuke extreme is very secure. Still have no idea what to do tho.

GreenBean-HH-
08-29-2010, 08:20 PM
so do you have any images or themes that interest you, that you've seen?

there's all sorts of clan forum themes to choose from and maybe you should look at it from that pov as well to maybe give you some direction in making a decision.

i'd do a search on security as well.

Moreno
08-30-2010, 02:50 AM
Nuke Xtreme is a modified version of Nuke Evolution. It is more secure then other nuke platforms, but still dangerous if a hacker knows what they are doing. SMF i really dont know, but nuke xtreme i would say give it a go. Their is alot of themes.

!AR!BlackHawk
08-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Best tip(s):

Stay away from commonly used scripts or only use them if you know they are secure. Some platforms are known to be under heavy attack. PHPBB versions 2.x was one of those to be exploited alot. SMF is known to be secure as its not used that much and most of the core is very secure.

Other tips, remove any version notations, copyright notices or anything that makes it obvious what software you run. If the software requires you to leave a copyright notice, place it LOCALY.

Also look on google for exploits for the current version.

Example searches:

-phpbb vulnerability x.x (version number)
-phpbb expoit

Exmaple: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=phpbb+vulnerability+3.x&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=8637268cbe536c3e

Fire@enemy
08-30-2010, 04:34 PM
i have been coding nuke modules for awhile now so i know how secure nuke is, and i know most things about nuke. i know smf is very secure tho to. its just hard to decide which to use, and i knew all of the other stuff that uve told me.

jimbouk1977
08-31-2010, 02:27 AM
Nothing on the net is secure and you will often find that if a site is succesful & aimed at certain areas it will invite DOS attacks & so on, but your average forum doesn't have much to worry about I would steer clear of PBB as said above..

SMF is a very good platform and has loads of mods but not many are based around clans / gaming, Nuke Evo Xtreme is aimed at the gamer but is still easy to break into and mess around if you know what you're doing (and the Admin of the site doesn't).. IPB & Vbultin are ok also. But for a free forum I would go for SMF with a portal of some sorts!.(Simple portal being my choice or Tiny loads more though.)

Someone above says to remove the Copyright info now all very well doing this, but remember a coder don't need to see a copyright to know what forum build your running also removing the copy right will not go down well if support is needed as most state DONT remove and you agree to such when you use their scripts..

So in short if you want gaming go Xtreme if you want good-looking easy to use with some great mods go SMF..

But as always its a personal choice on these things.

Just to prove about the copy right thing here is a bit of source code from this page can you see what I mean

src="http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/Themes/default/script.js?fin11"></script>
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript"><!-- // --><![CDATA[
var smf_theme_url = "http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/Themes/cs-dk115v1";
var smf_images_url = "http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/Themes/cs-dk115v1/images";
var smf_scripturl = "http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/index.php";

So no need to remove copyrights as it don&#39;t hide nothing.

Sorry GB about using your source but any one can see it :) and it is only to show what im trying to say also not trying to make anyone look bad just saying is all !.

But main point of this post from me is to say unless you become a massive site on the net you probably don&#39;t even need to worry about haxrs on your forum BUT Just to be safe back up your DATABASE OFTEN !.

!AR!BlackHawk
08-31-2010, 03:40 AM
100% agree, source code & even the routes used can easly show what your using. But it's just one of the many things you can hide. At the end, if you face a real cracker (and not a simple scriptkiddy) then your for sure are going to get into trouble whatever software you use.

jimbouk1977
08-31-2010, 04:51 PM
Exactly ! BH exactly (TBH first thing i did was get rid of the © on my forum :D )

But going back to it Nuke Evo Xtreme is built by gamers for gamers but i don't like the look or feel of it out of all of them i do think SMF has the most potential and people are always making mods for it & you can request a paid for or free mod in their forums and if you know basic PHP / java & CSS its easy to make a theme of your own or adapt others to your needs. saying that 1.1.11 is easier to modify than the latest release (looks wise) but not many new mods being made for that version anymore...and the 2.0 RC4 is in the works i belive (dont quote me on it)