PDA

View Full Version : CLOUD Services: Steam, OnLiVe, etc

FS-Jarhead755
03-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Hello, Not sure if this a good place for this post. My group AT1 uses steam a lot to link together playing the games. My steam name is Jarhead755. You can use it just like Xfire. Just can't take pictures or clips of your game.

GreenBean-HH-
03-18-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm slightly interested in Steam and would like to know more about it, especially since they'll be supporting Mac's in the future to counter ONLINE service that's coming soon.

Can you compare Steam with say buying games individually and how it works? Is it worth it?

Moreno
03-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Too me, Steam is worth it all the way. I didn't know they were going to support Mac's but that is handy to know so I may spread the news to fellow members.

Yes, their are a lot of pro's and con's to using steam. Such as you do no need to use a CD/DVD to play your game, so it is kind of like a NO-CD Patch/Crack. But a legit way. After it is registered on your Steam account, you do not need the CD/DVD to install again. You may go to a friends house or another family members house, then just download and install the game onto their PC. Their are many features to it, like searching the web or instant messaging in-game, and even voice chat. One thing I like about it, is you can invite friends to join your game or you can join the game that your friends are in. Steam does a good job in keeping your game up-to-date automatically.

One Con I do not like is that when you are waiting for a new release, the Steam Version sometimes doesn't get released till a couple days after the CD/DVD is. But it can also be vice-versa with Steam version being released ahead of time then the CD/DVD.

{OCS}CrushKill
03-18-2010, 09:36 PM
I use Steam and there's never been a problem for me.

The best parts about Steam is that with automatic updating your games are always current.

You don't have the problem of CD's or DVD's being lost or scratched, and you don't have to dig out a disk to play that game you haven't played for a while.

Lost your game key? Not with Steam. Just don't loose your log in information (this is retrievable).

Best I can tell you is to give it a try, you really can't loose.

FS-Jarhead755
03-18-2010, 11:52 PM
From listening to my clan members it is faster to join your group in a game. The voice chat is clear. You can use voice chat even if your not in a game. Just like Teamspeack or one of the others. The only thing I didn't like is all the games I have my CD codes come up no good. To add friends to your steam account you have to buy a game through them. I ended up spending $10.00 on a game I didn't have to add friends. Now it works great.

Creedence
03-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Cheaters using steam can also get a ban from using the client if caught. ;)

Moreno
03-27-2010, 08:10 AM
Yes that it true as well.

GreenBean-HH-
05-16-2010, 03:54 PM
That's right, Steam finally supports the Macintosh platform...

http://store.steampowered.com/browse/mac

5 Great Indie Games $19.99
One Low Price
Includes: And Yet It Moves, Galcon Fusion, Machinarium, Osmos & World of Go

ahh, wait... look for this icon http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/public/images/blank.gif when searching for Mac games as it doesn't look like there are that many supported titles. In fact I recognize a couple of Unity game engine games which you can find without steam. Okay, it's a start.

correct me if i'm wrong.

GreenBean-HH-
07-04-2010, 08:03 PM
http://olwriter.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/home_tab_2.png?w=600

Go to http://www.onlive.com/

For a first come first serve basis, you can get one year free membership to OnLive as one of their 'Founding Members'. What it means is, for no cost you can try out some demos.

It's pretty cool and fast. I took me a day to become approved, a minute to download their OnLive program and then basically I was able to play on my Mac games that aren't normally available on Mac. There's no download of the actual game as all files are kept on OnLive, so it's super fast.

SignUp HEre: http://www.onlive.com/signup

Good for me cause there are many games I've been curious about but wouldn't bother spending actual money on ;)

More games in the future. While the demo's are free and fast to connect, the actual game will cost ya some bucks...

...to celebrate the July 4th holiday, we’re offering 30% off all PlayPasses purchased between Saturday morning (9:00AM EDT/6:00AM PDT) and Monday evening (11:59PM EDT/8:59PM PDT).

How it works:

Powerful Gaming Made Easy
Connect to OnLive with your TV, PC or Mac® or TV and play games instantly
Games run over the Internet from state-of-the-art OnLive game data centers
Controller action and game play are relayed up and down the Internet at blindingly fast speeds
Enjoy instant game play on your PC, Mac® or TV. No high-end hardware required

1) From what I understand, you pay for a game and then let the landlord hold it for you... that is, I think you'll have to pay a fee to the landlord (OnLive) in order to gain access to your property.

2) I don't see a way to add games you already own, that they support, to your list of games that can be played on OnLive.

Fire@enemy
07-06-2010, 01:06 AM
wasnt able to find it on there site.

What is OnLive exactly?

GreenBean-HH-
07-06-2010, 10:26 AM
BTW, you have to be 18 and have a credit card.

Just fill out the form and submit it.

OnLive basically holds the games on their server, rather than you downloading them to your computer. This means your library of games is available to you where ever you go. It's also very fast, but I suspect the resolution is probably a bit lower than having the data on your computer.

As you probably know Steam recently offered Mac users their service, no doubt because OnLive was about to be released, so OnLive is sort of like Steam.

For me this offer is great because i can try out some demo's right now... no downloading, no searching for files, etc. Just click the 'play demo' and start playing.

Finally I don't think the quality of games is that great... at least not at the moment.

Fire@enemy
07-06-2010, 02:37 PM
lol nvm i can't do it already.

<-----Only 16

Moreno
07-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Ive applied already, got approved. Problem is, I do not have a credit or debit card till a couple more days.

Moreno
07-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Ive applied already, got approved. Problem is, I do not have a credit or debit card till a couple more days.

GreenBean-HH-
07-07-2010, 06:20 PM
you're not missing much, like i said it's good to try out just the demo, which you can probably download in other ways. This method really just makes it very easy to try out many demo's... especially good for me since I post info about new upcoming games.

Moreno
07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Well I have signed up already, pre registered. My service is active, but my internet connection is getting upgraded to 7mb connection which OnLive recommends and requires 5mb to run. So got to wait before I can test it out.

Moreno
07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Well I have signed up already, pre registered. My service is active, but my internet connection is getting upgraded to 7mb connection which OnLive recommends and requires 5mb to run. So got to wait before I can test it out.

GreenBean-HH-
07-14-2010, 09:52 AM
So did you get accepted to the 'Founding Members Program'?

good luck with the connection, if you manage to get things aligned, for you it looks more like you're waiting for the stars to align ;D , then it's just okay... but like I said, pretty good to try out some games you might be curious about but not enough to lay down your money at first sight of the title. Then again you might find something that's worth paying for.

Moreno
07-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Got it, so far is so cool. Looks like they only let you play 30 mins. Its a good idea because i hate downloading games or having to install them. But only downside like you said is the graphic quality.

Moreno
07-18-2010, 03:13 AM
Got it, so far is so cool. Looks like they only let you play 30 mins. Its a good idea because i hate downloading games or having to install them. But only downside like you said is the graphic quality.

GreenBean-HH-
07-18-2010, 10:55 AM
yeah the demo is 30 minutes, enough to give you a taste of the game.

right away I could tell i didn't like quite a few of the games... but was curious about them because of the hipe. it's definitely a fast way to find out and like you said Moreno you don't have to actually download and install the game.

Moreno
07-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Yep, not bad thou. can't complain. Its a free demo.

Moreno
07-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Yep, not bad thou. can't complain. Its a free demo.

GreenBean-HH-
08-12-2010, 01:59 PM
Dirt 2 demo is up... they&#39;re not offering the full version, but the demo was fun.

http://www.onlive.com/images/game_assets/DIRT002_TitleCover_96_120.png

Talk is Dirt 2 might cause lag with some people&#39;s computers, therefore they&#39;re testing it to see if people like it enough before offering it for sale. I enjoyed the first track the most, even won a few times. Takes some getting used to using the arrow keys for steering.

Once the 30 minute demo is over, just relaunch the game to keep playing. ;)

also FEAR will give you a few chills, but it&#39;s a very short demo, just to get into the story takes a bit of time, so not much to do.

http://www.onlive.com/images/game_assets/FEAR2GM_TitleCover_96_120.png

GreenBean-HH-
08-13-2010, 11:41 AM
added this to the original post, upon thinking about what OnLive is really about:

What's Good/Bad:

1) From what I understand, you pay for a game and then let the landlord hold it for you... while the OnLive service is free for now, initial talk is that it would be a paid service. I think they need to take a stand and advertise that it is free and will remain that way, so that anyone who purchases games will know that they will always have access to them no matter where they travel around the world.

2) I don't see a way to add games you already own, that they support, to your list of games that can be played on OnLive.

3) No Parental Controls. UPDATE: Parental Controls have been added and now you can, using the ESRB rating system, simply and easily say what games are viewable in the OnLIve System. This is a wonderful achievement and I don't know any other form of gaming where a parent can easily prevent their 8, 9 or 10 year olds from seeing adult gaming content. OnLive has accomplished something no one else has with this new PControl system.

4) I mentioned traveling... what is cool is you can game anywhere in the world, assuming you have a fast enough connection where you are, on any computer, like at your grandma's or uncle's house during Thanksgiving or other holidays, because OnLive doesn't require you to download the game, just a small file sized client.

GreenBean-HH-
10-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Well I've been giving Steam a try. First with Portal that 'was' free to new Mac Users, and that was a pleasant surprise of a game- (fun, creative, dark sense of humor, worked perfectly, very clever game of problem solving, exciting flying all over the place). Then I tried Half-Life 2, Episode 2 and enjoyed it, but both don't have multiplayer so the experience was limited. Still they are well thought out games and a great experience as you are actually involved in the story.

L4D2

So a few days ago I decided to try out Left 4 Dead 2... yes you heard me. I thought I would never try that one, but the first L4D did look like a fun story. Well have to say it is a pretty darn good game, both single and multiplayer. I don't have enough experience as of yet to let you all know definitively, but it is fun to be a part of a squad (4 person multiplayer squads) fighting off hoards of zombies, helping each other out of jambs and causing general mayhem. It doesn't have the great sense of humor that Portal did, which considering it's about zombies, they could of come up with something, but still I'm having a serious blast playing the game, for $19.95 i believe. I'd say if you'd like to try something different then give it a try.

Downsides of Steam?
Can't resell your game, but you could I suppose play 'your owned games' from any computer around the world. In fact it seems more like you are leasing the game rather than owning property (like a CD that is tangible).
I don't think you can have your own server, but do think that with L4D2 your computer can become the server if you host a match?
Limited selection of games?
Any other downsides?

jimbouk1977
10-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I have heard of people who sell their Steam accounts on eBay so you could in theory sell your games (but don't know how legit this is)

Steam is a good idea in theory only problem is since they started with COD MW2 it seems to crash all the time at least once a night which then means you can't play any of your games online untill it comes back up (online)This is very annoying and I personally have never ever had any issues like this with any other game(s)So for that reason only i think Steam is a bad thing but I don't ever sell my games it is handy that you don't need to worry about breaking your discs but that said if you have poor internet speed then installing/ reinstalling any game is a pain in the backside I've known people take over 24 hours to download and install one game through steam now that would send me crazy im on 50-MBs & it gets on my nerves as it is !.

But good in some ways but for me of late has a lot of downsides that need sorting IMO

jimbouk1977
10-12-2010, 07:31 PM
I have heard of people who sell their Steam accounts on eBay so you could in theory sell your games (but don't know how legit this is)

Steam is a good idea in theory only problem is since they started with COD MW2 it seems to crash all the time at least once a night which then means you can't play any of your games online untill it comes back up (online)This is very annoying and I personally have never ever had any issues like this with any other game(s)So for that reason only i think Steam is a bad thing but I don't ever sell my games it is handy that you don't need to worry about breaking your discs but that said if you have poor internet speed then installing/ reinstalling any game is a pain in the backside I've known people take over 24 hours to download and install one game through steam now that would send me crazy im on 50-MBs & it gets on my nerves as it is !.

But good in some ways but for me of late has a lot of downsides that need sorting IMO

GreenBean-HH-
10-13-2010, 10:57 AM
downloading L4D2, which is hugh at close to 10 GB's took about 1 1/2 hours. Most of our games are around 2GB's to 4 GB's.

As far as giving my games away, they are fun to play but have a limited life, so passing them on would be nice to do. Of course then you're GUID is associated with someone else and they could cheat making your account look dirty. I think eBay for unused games at a good price is the best option or to look for specials... maybe the idea of really sharing or reselling isn't a wise thing to do.

Creedence
10-15-2010, 07:31 AM
I use steam and enjoy it. I can dl BFBC2 (after a recent format) in about 30 min with my connection. Good thing is that it installs as its downloading.

Creedence
10-15-2010, 07:31 AM
I use steam and enjoy it. I can dl BFBC2 (after a recent format) in about 30 min with my connection. Good thing is that it installs as its downloading.

GreenBean-HH-
12-15-2010, 11:20 AM
OnLive Viewer
Hits the App Store

Now you can watch live gameplay from almost anywhere! Just download the FREE OnLive Viewer app to your iPad and instantly watch hundreds of games being played live throughout the world. Rate Brag Clip™ videos, make friends and surf the Marketplace for new games.

http://img.ipost.com/client/o/onlive/images/NL/enl_ipad_ipad.gif

GreenBean-HH-
04-20-2011, 02:04 PM
OnLive moves closer to controlling what content minors can see...

It's a huge issue, a 6 year old being able to play a Mature rated demo for free and instantly which is how the current OnLive Service works. That's a big concern for Parents who might not want that to happen. And if a parent has that concern they certainly shouldn't signup for www.OnLive.com (http://www.OnLive.com)

But today I noticed on their website that you can search for games based solely on their rating. It is a small move but significant in that they are acknowledging that this is an issue (perhaps based on my message to them that it was an issue?). It certainly makes sense as the list of games they offer increases when at first launch and only a few titles they certainly wanted to give the impression that they had a lot to offer.

While searching games based on ESRB rating can be done with your browser at this time, you can still see all games when using the OnLive application.

HomeFront is available on OnLive along with quite a few other great titles.

HackHunters Anti Cheat Organization has been following OnLive and reporting on this great service since before it was officially launched and has encouraged it's members to try it out. We do have 2 questions we would like to have a response on if you don't mind:

1) Given the nature of the service is there anyway a user could cheat in your games? (We assume there isn't which is great but don't wish to report this if it isn't absolutely true. Given our pov, this is an important fact we would like to share).

2) While the OnLive service is free at this time, do you have any plans to start charging a subscription fee in the future or are you adopting the current business model of offering a free service? (This is important if people are going to invest in the purchase and access to their games).

Thanks, from 'GreenBean', founder of HackHunters.com ACO.

Response (that was quick!):

Thank you for contacting us, and for your interest in OnLive. As you know, most game hacks involve modifying .ini or .cfg files or entering hacks into the console command line. As the hardware is secured on our end, there is no editing of files in the games directory, and we have disabled the command line functionality. For all intents and purposes, there should be no way for an end user to make any changes to the parameters of the game they are playing.

John
Customer Service Representative
http://support.onlive.com/

So there you have it, no way to cheat, and confirmed.

Why post all of this? If you're wondering you can have a positive effect on how things are, by being polite, by first making compliment (it is very important to acknowledge the significance of what the persons have created in order for them to understand that you have an appreciation for what they're doing) and then by making a suggestion with your reasoning behind the suggestion. It's very simple and can result in a 'better' thing in your life or in the lives of others, at least that's the way I have found it to be.

GreenBean-HH-
09-25-2011, 09:49 AM
OnLive has added a robust Parental Control System.

It's easy to use, and a parent can easily block mature or other content both by ESRB Ratings and/or by specific game title.

This means you can have one account for yourself, and a different account (downloading the client associated with a different email address) for your child. When they sign in, based on the settings you assign, they will only see the content you want them to see, and they won't see Brag Clips from Mature games, or be able to chat to others, etc. It is a robust system and I hope they've implemented based partly on our prompting from HackHunters.