PDA

View Full Version : Haiti Earth Quake Relief

GreenBean-HH-
01-14-2010, 11:07 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CyqBmVS064

http://www.redcross.org/
Haiti is a very poor country and people really do need our help. A little bit of money will go a long way in mitigating the suffering from the recent earth quake, so help!

http://newsroom.redcross.org/2010/01/12/disaster-alert-earthquake-in-haiti/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs3uhophuPA

If you have a Haiti Disaster Relief Group in your country you want to let people know about please post a link here. Thanks for everyone's help.

GreenBean-HH-
01-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I was watching some of the news coverage and realized a few things that everyone around the world should know:

Haiti being very poor, the construction of buildings was poor and a large percentage have collapsed causing total destruction. Access roads are blocked.

The 7.0+ earthquake was basically under Haiti's biggest city and capital, Port-du-Prince. Not only affecting the most people of that small country but making relief efforts extremely difficult... in other words the world is about to watch more people die over the coming days who are injured and waiting for medical attention that can't get to them.

Being so poor, medical facilities are lacking medicine, doctors, etc.

Being so poor, people were already living on the edge with an average yearly income of about $550 USD per year. This makes you even more vulnerable to dying when an event like this happens.

Being so poor the country has a government that really can't help... the Presidential Palace is in ruins hampering any help they might of tried to muster. The government is basically so desperate they're telling other countries to send police, rescue, military, whatever and go ahead and take the lead in relief of their people.

It's pretty bad, probably as bad as it gets. Help if you can.

Peace all. Give us your thoughts...

Moreno
01-14-2010, 11:14 PM
It really sad to hear about all the bad news going around the world. I wonder if other countrys besides the US will help?

GreenBean-HH-
01-15-2010, 11:34 AM
I think I heard the Neatherlands had rescue crews on the ground, and also France I know had rescue crews there. Russia and Italy are sending people/supplies. Some of the surrounding countries are lending aid. I'm sure all the other major countries are helping too, England, Germany, etc. and wouldn't be surprised if countries in South America are helping as well.

Private US Donations from the Boston Area:

“Haiti has had so much trauma, it’s overwhelming, it’s just heartbreaking,’’ said Jim Ansara, owner of Shawmut Design and Construction, who donated $1 million to the Boston Foundation to help with emergency relief and rebuilding efforts on the island devastated by Tuesday’s earthquake.

CVS Caremark Corp. in Woonsocket, R.I., gave the relief organization $125,000, and National Grid in Waltham, TJX Cos. in Framingham, and Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Co. of Springfield each donated $100,000. Liberty Mutual Insurance Co. in Boston gave another $250,000 to the Red Cross and offered to match employees’ contributions up to an additional $250,000. BJ’s Wholesale Club Inc. in Natick gave $100,000 to Doctors Without Borders.

Oxfam America, a nonprofit based in Boston that works to combat poverty and hunger in poor countries, said it has raised $3 million since Tuesday night and has sent staff and emergency crews to the island.

I suspect most countries will do something although so far I think Russia's contribution is pretty small, they might be trying to figure out the magnitude of what's happening, or perhaps they know that Western countries can really help the most.
China:

January 13, from 50-member Chinese international rescue team assembled in the Beijing Capital International Airport, ready to go to earthquake relief in Haiti.

GreenBean-HH-
01-15-2010, 11:33 PM
I've heard that many other countries are involved including England, Venezuela and others...

even my kids school has started many efforts to raise funds and make people aware of ways to contribute. They're asking kids to bring in their change.

I'm not sure about others using our site, but if you're unaware of the total devastation of having an earth quake of 7.3 right under your only major city can do to everything, you might want to take a good look at CNN. Also, finally, other networks are slowly catching up with the magnitude of this situation. As I type people are still dying even while they lay in a hospital without any care, and that's pretty sad. I hope relief can reach the majority of Haitian citizens quickly.