PDA

View Full Version : Possible trick to prevent hacking

Ov3rCasT
08-04-2008, 12:20 AM
Mmmmm I was not sure where I should post it...... :-\

:)

Of course having ppl with rcon 24 / 24 is a solution but it's virtually impossible.

So it'll be interesting to have some suggestions that can help to discurage hackers.

Most of the time, hackers big fun (challenge) is to have incredible scores. If it's not possible whatever the reason, generally they are frustrated and leave by themselves.

I thought about the situation recently and here is what I consider could be an interesting solution to limit the problems caused by hackers, especially on servers not always patrolled by admins.

Based on what a reasonnable score could be (I mean something logic even for a player with great skill), why not limit the number of kills?

I'll take an example with MOHAA FFA.

For example, suppose a 15 minutes round on a map like Destroyed Village.

I think we can assume a very good score for a real talented player, playing clean and not doing aggressive spawnkilling, can't be more than 100.

So it could be a good thing to have somekind of auto reset for every player's score who beat that limit. Honestly, who would like to have his personal score, resetted each time he have a score of 100 during a match? Certainly not a hacker or an aggressive spawnkiller! Imagine the frustration of a hacker to have his score resetted each time he get 100. :D
If ppl knows it's impossible to have a score over 100 because their personal score will go to "0" again, maybe they'll stop playing for the score only and they'll start playing for fun (or they'll leave to play somewhere else).

(Recently on the FFA server I use to play, a hacker got a final score like 230. Today, another one (maybe it's the same person) was having a score over 120 middle of a game, before a member was able to contact an admin. to kick him)

Imagine the effect of a suggestion like mine..... on hackers pride... ;D

Frag
08-04-2008, 12:31 AM
Interesting suggestion. I'd rather have it kick them from the server than just reset their score though. If they did come back then maybe their score would be reset too. :)

GreenBean-HH-
08-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Good idea but do you mean 24/7?

Keeping track of the score per minute is probably the most practical as it would apply no matter how long a round lasted, or when a cheater 'turned on their hacks'.

Kick and delete their individual score from their personal ranks. Additionally, add their GUID to a watch list. There could be color codes for those w/ 30kills/min, 40kills/min, 50kills/min, etc. implying the more kills the more likely use of a hack. If the GUID always comes up as having a high kill/min ratio in the reds, then maybe someone can get the proof to put them on a ban list.

How do you think it could/would be implemented? By the individual Admins? or by a Mod, Game Manufacturer, etc.?

!AR!BlackHawk
08-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Addon to this, in games like CoD, you can even count the amount of headshots a player makes. Which means you can get a kill/headshot/time rato. If you link that up to a database then you can even count the amount of connects meaning Kills/headShots/Time/Games played/ so if they player lets say 10 games and 8 of the 10 games he was ontop of the list with like 100 kills then you can enforce ban automatically.

Nice idea there OverCast :)

A Anti-Cheat mod should do.

Ov3rCasT
08-04-2008, 11:08 AM
I know I said having the score resetted but of course it could also be an autokick or an autoban. If it's possible to kick automaticallly ppl for high ping, I suppose it could be possible to do the same for high scores. ;D

The objective is only to be sure a hacker can't get what he wants the most..... a big score.

I know some servers have a timer / score limit to restart a new round each time but it's not fair for the players playing clean. That's why the best would be to find a way to apply these settings for individual scores.

You know, the more I think about any possible solutions based on the score or type of specific shot limit (like !AR!BlackHawk's suggestion), the more I'm convinced it could be a very good tool to prevent hacking.

Like I ever said, for some hackers part of the fun is also to have other guests frustrated. So imagine how a hacker will feel if his personal score is resetted automaticaly to 0 everytime......

As for a database to help like suggested by !AR!BlackHawk, I'm sure it'll be something very very useful.

GreenBean-HH-
09-12-2008, 12:55 PM
This concept echoes HackHunters stance on people who dominate consistently every game and how we (I) feel they should be warned and perhaps kicked, as domination can ruin the game play for many.

The topic is here in the topic 'Basics of Making a Good Server': http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/index.php?topic=69.0

1) Encourage fair play and no domination by keeping teams skill-level even.

And here: http://www.hackhunters.com/forum/index.php?topic=67.0

16) DOMINATION: Is the server full of your best players, but a stranger has 20, 30 kills higher than anyone else consistently when they play? What are you waiting for? Kick them and say 'no domination playingf'. If they're hacking, they'll probably leave to find somewhere else they can dominate. If they return and follow this new rule, you're probably looking at just a good player. We don't recommend kicking someone just because they dominate a few games... watch over a period of games, most players, even skilled ones, will fluctuate game to game.

And finally here: http://www.hackhunters.com/07_claninfo/claninfo.html

9) DOMINATING TEAMS BY ONE PLAYER: Total domination of a team can be caused by many reasons, the quality of players on each side, the quality of pings... but if it happens always because one particular player helps that team dominate, then that circumstance and individual could be questionable. The very best types of individuals, who dominate, will lighten up their game and even switch sides. It is the other type of dominator who are 'egomaniac hunter killers at all costs' who may be tempted to do anything to increase their standing and score including cheating. Keep an eye on them and watch for any suspicious activity.

Personally, if I owned a server and someone was dominating consistantly, for the sake of all the other guests, I would warn, then kick the individual if required to get the point across of 'no domination', with the possibility of a ban if they do not heed the warnings. Last night I was on a server where, while everyone of 24 players were in the 10 to 20 kills, this one individual was in the 70 kills with 8 deaths, he ended the round with over 100 kills. While it could of been completely based on skill the bottom line is it borders on abuse and considering in this age all the 'hard to detect hacks' that are available I would lean towards caution and warn/kick the player. Let them go somewhere else and ruin the fun for others... 'not welcome on my server' would be my rule.

Adopting a 'no domination' rule would allow Ov3rCasT's idea to be easily implemented by clans... No Domination or you will be automatically kicked. I'd say that anyone with 25 more kills than anyone else gets a warning, 35 gets the boot. I suspect that for a lot of fringe games that are lacking players, this rule would probably have a positive effect at keeping the majority of players around.

!AR!BlackHawk
09-12-2008, 02:00 PM
I hope i'm excluded in this system ^^

GreenBean-HH-
09-12-2008, 02:49 PM
You're outta here! ;D

Not in my non-existent server buddy! j/k

Every thought of switching weapons to practice on something you're not as good at? Try a new strategy like sniping or rushing? Hope you switched sides... omg! I would of left that's for sure... not that into being punished (just a little into it from my wife :o).

When I start to dominate... I switch to a pistol and run around like an idiot... lol. Or, try 'rocket launcher' as a sniper rifle :-). Sometimes I will try to find the most obvious places, like on top of a helicopter to see how long it takes for someone to see me... or will follow behind an enemy yelling 'Contact!', 'Enemy Spotted', or 'In Position' to see if they turn around, :)

There is fun to be had while at the same time allowing others to enjoy the game imo.

Here's why... Crysis is a great game, but has some flaws.... it's success as a great online game is border line, when people rack up lots of kills fast people like me assume that they're probably cheating and would rather just leave than deal with figuring out if they actually are or not. Now Crysis is in Crysis as there are only a few servers available and even Crytek has slowed (stopped) support of it.

Just something to consider.

!AR!BlackHawk
09-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Hehe when i play well i play well, but 40% out out of 100% i suck, just depends on how you feel and which players are playing. The running like a idot is a nice trick, I change my name to RPG Noob and just blow myself up with my enemy.

Anyways, being good isnt always fun lol.