PDA

View Full Version : How game servers work?

Ov3rCasT
07-12-2008, 12:01 AM
I think it could be very useful to find something easy to understand with a lot of technical details.

I have basic knowledge but definitely not good enough.

What I have in mind is kind of informations that can help us to understand a lot of things. For example, why intermittent fire is more effective than constant fire, possible effects of hacks on a server, why a server can be crashed, etc...

I searched a lot for the past 2 weeks but for the moment I found nothing interesting.

(If I still unable to find something I'm thinking about asking directly to some game servers providers.)

GreenBean-HH-
07-12-2008, 12:06 PM
What I have in mind is kind of informations that can help us to understand a lot of things. For example, why intermittent fire is more effective than constant fire, possible effects of hacks on a server, why a server can be crashed, etc...

Intermittent fire is more of a strategy as it has to do with recoil.

Overall sounds good but if you find it is a dead end then don't waste your time on it. For instance, I think we should provide more info on game browsers, what filters to use for xfire to enable PB for each game, etc.... more practical things.

Lil B_F
07-25-2008, 12:43 AM
What about a explanation of RCON controls in servers too!! What admins are and arent able to do in servers can be explained more clearly. Eg Total comtrol RCON can wipe all your configs and really mess up your game!!!

Ov3rCasT
07-25-2008, 03:30 PM
What about a explanation of RCON controls in servers too!! What admins are and arent able to do in servers can be explained more clearly. Eg Total control RCON can wipe all your configs and really mess up your game!!!

After thinking about you idea seriously... I mean :) and.... :) :) and... :) :) :)

it's clear your idea is very good and a lot of other subjects related to admins could be interesting too.

(Examples: a section for server setup, a section fof modes, a section to talk about the different maps.)

We need admins to start this topic... we can post it in the clan section. if we get enough post in this thread, we can move it over......

Good point too!

Honestly I think it could be a good way / publicity to have collaboration from some admins.

GreenBean-HH-
07-25-2008, 06:19 PM
I think there are a couple of admin websites that are in trouble... be nice if they merged with us and showed us how to do it...

like http://www.counter-hack.net/... not sure if they're going to be able to recover from being inactive for so long.

a couple others that slip my mind atm.

iceman
07-27-2008, 04:48 AM
for any information about host servers enz. you can call me. I know somewhat about servers. I am server admin of my clan

Sneaky
07-31-2008, 09:08 AM
What types of commands are you looking for? RCON gives you the ability to do anything you want thats why RCON passwords are not given out lightly. Also, it depends on the game. I no cod2 pretty well and cod4 is similar but has alot of different abilities.

theres:

say commands (telling the console to say something)
kick/ban commands
config commands (change settings)
map commands (change length of map, the map, and such)

!AR!BlackHawk
07-31-2008, 09:37 AM
add to the list :) PunkBuster Commands ( pb - pb_sv)

Sneaky
07-31-2008, 11:22 AM
PB is set up by rcon and then you can use it without rcon. should I write down all the commands?

!AR!BlackHawk
07-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Call of Duty commands:
----------------------
1: Game settings/server commands.
1.1 cg commands
1.2 cl commands
1.3 cm commands
1.4 com commands
1.5 con commands
1.6 debug commands
1.7 fs commands
1.8 fx commands
1.9 g commands
2.0 in commands
2.1 m commands
2.2 net commands
2.3 r commands
2.4 scr commands
2.5 server commands
2.6 sv commands
2.7 ui commands
2.8 ai commands
2.9 bg commands
3.0 cl commands
3.1 cm commands
3.2 com commands
3.3 con commands
3.4 debug commands
3.5 fs commands
3.6 fx commands
3.7 g commangs
3.8 in commands
3.9 mss commands
4.0 sys commands
4.1 other commands

Sneaky
07-31-2008, 07:10 PM
lol thats all the types. I listed the catagories.

EviL WaBiT
08-02-2008, 07:09 AM
I run a few servers myself :) someone asks a question about commands for rcon I've never been very good atin game council commands so I use 2 to programs one called rcon max and the other one is modern rcon both of them give you complete access to the server lets you make Consul messages whenever you want or you can set them to go off at any given time it enables me to kick or ban I can even take PB screen shots at the click of a mouse. it gives me all the player information. I can change maps rotation /gametypes just about anything including restart the server. with rcon max if you have a mod installed on your server you can even do things like have all pistol matches choose what weapons and perks can be available to the people on your server There's even a spot to turn on or off airstrikes even the amount of damage you can sustain from a helicopterI

hope this helps answer some questions I am not quite sure how to add downloads to this yet if you're interested in either one you can pm me and I will send them to you or u can googel for them. keep in mind these two programs are of no use to anyone who does not have the rcon pass to servers ;)

MODERN RCON: http://www.codhq.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=33
Description: ModernRcon is the premier Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare remote admin utility. This CoD4 Rcon Tool allows server administrators to control their server remotely, without even being connected in-game. It is completely free to use, and extremely user-friendly. Download it now! We guarantee it will be the best CoD4 Rcon Utility you've ever used!

Description: These are the official map and mod tools for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. They include the CoD4 Radiant for mapping, and a slew of other resources for modeling, animating, skinning, etc. Download it now all you modders!

Edit by Greenbean: added links, thanks for the info Wabit!